London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
5 messages
10/04/2014 at 16:49

I sowed spinach and lettuce seeds indoors in February.

By March they both had 4 tiny leaves. I put the spinach outside, and kept the lettuce inside. It's now nearly mid-April and they are all still the same size. 

I've never grown them before, I thought they'd be the fastest growing, but my potato plants, peas, planted in March are very big now. Even the tomatoes I sowed 3 weeks ago are bigger!

Is it normal for them to grow slow at first, do they speed up later in the growing process? The lettuce are suppose to grow from seed in 10-12 weeks (the packet says) They are at least 6 weeks old now. They're barely 3inches high and have four leaves. They look very healthy, its just the size of them that's baffling me.

Any advice welcomed! 

10/04/2014 at 17:01

What sort of compost are they in?

10/04/2014 at 18:54

Hi dove, sorry so long to reply, I had to pop out. They're in Verve multi-compost from BnQ 

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/compost-sand-bark/multipurpose_compost/Verve-Multipurpose-Compost-125L-10288015

I think it contains manure, because it really smells of poo when you start playing around with it. The spuds seem to love it. They're thriving.

10/04/2014 at 19:08

Have you got a veg patch you can transplant them into and then protect them with a cloche or some cut off plastic bottles or something - I just think they'll be happier outside.  

10/04/2014 at 20:06

Well the Spinach have been outside since March and stay the same size since. I have heard they have a really deep root system, maybe its working on the roots now?

I do have all of the above, I could put half of the lettuce out, see how they go. But am I right in thinking they should be bigger by now?

email image
5 messages