London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
10 messages
10/01/2012 at 17:09

Can someone advise what I should plant along a chain link fence to provide some privacy to a garden. The house next door has now been renovated so we will be having neighbours move in so wanted to create a barrier bewteen our gardens.

I was thinking of quick rowing conifers but would like any other suggestions (nothing too expensive!). It's approx 25-30m stretch & I would like the plants to grow to about 5-6ft.

The soil is very good where we live if that helps!

08/03/2012 at 20:18

You mention Conifers, so will suggest Leylandi. I know the first thing you may think is how big they get and many a neighbour dispuets have arose about them, but they are fast growing, so will cover well in a fair time.

The seccret is to let them grow to the height you want then cut the top and keep them at that height. This also encourages them to spread in width.

Another option is Russian vine  (Fallopia). It is fast growing so will cover the fence quickly. Just keep in mind to keep it in check as it is also known as The Mile A Miniute Plant!

These are what I would consider.

08/03/2012 at 20:56
08/03/2012 at 21:03
Hi! I work as a local authority arboriculturalist (tree officer) and from almost 25 years experience I'd recommend you stay away from conifers! What you gain in the short term - a quick dense screen- you may come to regret for years to come. Conifers - as previous poster has said- need to be kept on top of. They will shade you (or your neighbour depending on the aspect) and if left unchecked can look awful when you try to bring them under control. If you only want something to reach to 6ft bear in mind you are trying to keep conifers that can achive considerably larger heights into a confined height- so it may be wiser to invest a little more time and take the opportunity to plant a mix of deciduous and evergreen shrubs and climbers that will be an asset and delight to your garden than just providing a green wall. Also bear in mind that if your conifer hedge shades your neighbour they may approach your local council and if judged a problem evergreen hedge under the High Hedges Regs then you could be required under the law to prevent your hedge growing above a set height. I'd suggest having fun designing a mixed boundary, preparing the ground well and keeping on top of watering during establishment to give plants a good start - once they start thriving I bet you'll have forgotten you ever thought of conifers! If you really want a single species hedge why not try beech or hornbeam as traditional native hedging? Buy small bare root whips and plant before the end of march to keep the cost down.
09/03/2012 at 04:57

Hi, I agree with Churchill all he said is right and true and also you don`t know where the roots will go they make all the ground dry and under your house? or under your neighbour? keep well away from those conifers!!

09/03/2012 at 10:07

Look to the classifieds at the back of GW magazine. There are native hedging mixes working out to less than £2 per plant.

Beech is good - buy the tallest you can afford.

Consider an evergreen like Photinia Red Robin - quick n easy.

As the expert said, all saplings need regular water to establish. Secure to your fence to avoid wind-rock. Consider putting in tubing beween trees to delive water down to root level and plant in square holes

09/03/2012 at 16:23

Why not go for wildlife friendly and pick something like hawthorn?

09/03/2012 at 19:29

if yew really want evergreen I'd go for yews. much more class than leylandi, easier to shape slower growing and birds like it.

23/05/2013 at 11:35

Whatever you do DO NOT plant any Russian Vine. It's extremely invasive and you will have trouble getting rid of it.

23/05/2013 at 12:42

I would not respect the opinion of anybody that recommended Russian Vine.  Ditto Leylanndii.  Apart from the most obvious disadvantages, they are depressing, especially if they are near the house.

email image
10 messages