18 messages
07/10/2012 at 12:36

I have two quince in my garden, one red and one white and I have noticed that each has a spray of flowers on them (lovely to see but surely not the time of the year).  Also I have always thrown the fruit (is this what they are called) away, is there anything that can be done with them other than throwing them away.  Must say it is nice to see the flowers as others are dying back.

07/10/2012 at 12:55
Yes you can use the fruit for jams, jellies and fruit cheeses. If you google 'chaenomoles recipes' you'll find loads.
07/10/2012 at 13:10
Japonica Jelly1 lb japonica fruitQuarter pint waterSugarJuice of half a lemonWash the fruit. Don't worry if you can't remove the waxy coating on the skin, and chop it up well. Simmer the fruit and water until it's soft.Strain through a jelly bagMeasure the juice and allow 1 lb sugar to each pint of juice.Stir in sugar and lemon juice.Continue stirring until dissolvedBoil rapidly until set. (After around 15 minutes start testing by dropping a small amount of juice on a very cold plate. Leave for a few minutes. If it starts to crinkle, setting point has been reached.

Japonica Jam1 lb unpeeled japonicas2 lemonsPinch of ground ginger1 - 1 & a quarter pints water, depending on ripeness of fruitSugarDo not peel or core the japonica. Cut into halves and simmer in the water until pulpy. Add ground gingerSieve and to each pint of pound of pulp, add juice of one lemon and 1 lb sugarBoil until set.
07/10/2012 at 21:35
Just thought I should mention that chaenomoles fruits are also known as japonica.
07/10/2012 at 21:42

Google 'membrillo' - it's what the sppanish do with quince. A lovely paste/jelly that they serve with cheese.

07/10/2012 at 21:55
And very nice it is too!
08/10/2012 at 01:35

The Spanish use the big quinces which grow on trees for membrillo, not the small ornamental quinces more likely to be found in the garden.  The will not harm you, but the large quinces are much more suitable. They appear in the shops towards the end of the year.

08/10/2012 at 10:09

The only differences between Chaenomeles and  Cydonia are very small Botanical hair splitting things. The fruits are exactly the same taste and texture. The only reason the Cydonia fruits are bigger is because they are from selected trees, in the same way as cultivated Raspberries are bigger than wild ones.

We have made Jelly from both and I defy anyone to distinguish between them.

08/10/2012 at 20:50

Many thanks for all the replies and especially to Figrat for the recipes.  I will certainly try to make jam next year.  With the fruits being so hard I supposed they couldn't be used for anything (do they soften eventually?).  Will hope for plenty of flowers next year so that I can try out the receipes.  Again many thanks.

08/10/2012 at 21:24

The fruit makes a wonderful Air freshener. Just bring one in and leave it on a window ledge and the fragrance will fill the air.

14/10/2012 at 16:15

Did you see Monty's recommendations on Friday night? Glad I don't have to pick mine the way he does!!

15/10/2012 at 22:40

Have just got round to watching Gardeners World on iplayer and Monty saying how Quince is the nicest fruit and can be added to stewed apple, but what I don't know is the fruits are so hard, you cann't chop them so do you stew them first?  Loved watching Carol and the clematis.

16/10/2012 at 06:49

I get a large kitchen knife and cut them in half or quarters first (you do have to have a big knife or cleaver, and give it a bit of welly - mind your fingers!), then add them to the apple (or pop them inside a pot-roasting pheasant).  They don't give much flesh, but the flavour and perfume is wonderful.

16/10/2012 at 16:00

please tell me you don't throw the fruit away,even if they are deformed you can still use them.I make quince jam from both types of quinces...japonica and tree variety the name escapes me.The scent and colour of the japonica is lovely and if you have only a few you can add them to other fruit.

My japonica bushes this year were very poor and one died,,maybe too wet or cold.The tree produced very little maybe its lack of bees or combination of it all.

16/10/2012 at 17:37

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/14998.jpg?width=299&height=350&mode=max

Today's effort, from japonica. Mine have a lot of fruit this year, quince jam is next!

17/10/2012 at 19:02

I hate to admit it but I have been throwing the fruit away, but not any more.  Next year I shall be saving every fruit that is on the plants and trying the receipes and tips you have all kindly given.  Figrat your jars look delicious thanks for the photo.

18/10/2012 at 09:02
I got given a carrier bag of quinces yesterday, now have about 3 kilos to play with. The 3 jars of jelly in the picture came from 700g raw fruit, so will be making membrillo, jam and yet more jelly.
18/10/2012 at 17:59

I made Quince wine last year; it is known to be very slow to 'clear', so I don't expect to bottle it for some months yet. To cut the quinces, I use a big old carving knife and pretend I'm in a martial arts film. Had no quinces off the big tree this year but a few of the japanese type; not enough to make wine.

email image
18 messages