Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

raised beds

posted to soon>>>

we are a small nursing home with 2 raised beds 8ft x 6ft, can anyone tell me what to plant in them please .i want something that will have colour all year round, plants that are perenial and easy to look after, we dont want trees

thank you

• Hi Welshkatt,

I'm no expert but I used to have a hard and fast rule in my garden if it couldn't survive only being watered once a week in summer it tended not to get planeted again ( I do take a bit more interest in my garden these days and spend a bit more time in there!)

I found Lavenders, sage, rosemary, thyme and Fushias (?spelling?) seemed to do really well, the herbs also smell really nice on a summers evening which might be nice if you have any residents who have problems with their sight.

hope it helps, not very original I know!

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Hi welshkatt (you're not a manx, are you? I know two welsh manx cats!)

Have you tried using the search facility on this site? If not, give it a go. Click on the Plants tab, put in your requirements and find pics and info about plants that will suit your situation.

Of course, it's always nice to 'talk' to people as well.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Spring flowering bulbs are always a joy. I know they don't last the whole year, but are so heart lifting. They be mixed with other stuff, like the lavenders etc mentioned above.
  • Start with position; does it get full sun, partial sun or is it in shade. This will determine what to plant.

• Then decide on flowers & plants - I always try to get plants that have a 'double life'. Plants that have differing shapes sizes of leaf, evergreens, variegated leaves if possible. Hope this helps.

• thanks for your help,

the beda are in full sun and we have a pergola attatched to one of them and want to planr climers i thought clematis,jasmine and climbing hydrangea, do you think that would cover and not need a lot of maintainance?  we are under planting with spring bulbs to extend

• Clematis sounds good. You can get evergreen ones, but mine didn't survive a frost (perhaps it wasn't big enough to survive - should have put fleece over it!) Jasmine will be pretty, haven't experience of climbing hydrangia - sorry. Also you can plant summer flowering bulbs to extend season of flowers. You don't give the measurements of raised bed, so a bit difficult to assess how much you could get into it. Always aim for quick growing plants to cover soil, chuck on a bit of bark chippings, then very little weeding is needed, plus I think it looks neater! Happy to help.

• Sorry - you have put 8x6 on your post, not had a good day. Agree that lavender, rosemary are good plants, both flower and are evergreen, as well as lavender bag ingredients for your craft day and rosemary for cooking!

Let me know if you want any more ideas. 

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Climbing Hydrangea wont like full sun, its best in a shady spot. Maybe try a vine for green or red leaf colour? Just choose a cultivartor that isn't too vigorousimage

• what about the The Chilean potato vine, would that work better