6 messages
24/04/2013 at 12:14

Can I plant a rambling rose to grow up a fir tree or is the environment too acid?  Have many fir trees and want to make them a little more interesting.

24/04/2013 at 13:24

....you can plant one, but it's whether you'll want to spend the time tieing the rose to the tree, as it will need constant attention to train it upwards, as it won't cling without adequate support... a better option that I've seen on pine trees is Clematis montana, as they are self clinging. 

I'm assuming your pine tree is conical shape.  A rambling rose would  be better rambling through a more open tree with a many branched system so it can weave it's way through.  I planted rose 'Paul's Himalayan Musk' through a big willow tree, for instance... it needed no more help from me, so just a thought there, before you go ahead... as rambling roses naturally will just prostrate themselves along the ground unless you tie them to something or aim them towards an appropriate support...

24/04/2013 at 14:31

I think the rose would struggle. Conifers suck all the moisture out if the soli with their fine surface roots, as well as the soil becoming acid.

24/04/2013 at 14:51

plant climbing nasturtiums to create a flowering conifer effect

24/04/2013 at 18:23

Good idea for a small conifer, JW. Think I'll do that myself. But I'm thinking that this must be a large one for a rambler to be considered??

24/04/2013 at 18:55

Thanks for all the advice - the montana clematis is a great idea as is the nasturtiums

email image
6 messages