London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
14 messages
26/03/2014 at 14:57

hi my ranunculus bulbs came today but i want to make a bit of room in beds so could i pot them up while i get their new home ready or will they dislike disturbance and shall i leave them in bag?

Edd
26/03/2014 at 15:43

I have not grown ranunculus ( i think) and do not know what to do with them, sorry. What i do know is that you need to get any plant or bulb out of the packaging bags within 2-3 days of delivery. You may have to look up how to store them for short periods before planting out but please do get them out the bags/box/container. Things will only deteriorate while they are there.

Edd.

26/03/2014 at 17:04

Mine planted in pots two weeks ago and showing up through the soil so am happy.

26/03/2014 at 17:21

I soaked mine overnight before planting in pots (advice on the Parkers Wholesale website video) - they were then placed in an unheated greenhouse and are now sprouting nicely!!

So my suggestion would be to soak them before planting - if you can get them in the ground by the weekend then great otherwise start them off in pots and transfer them to the garden in a month or so.  (I must caveat this suggestion by stating I am by no means an expert and am growing ranunculus for the first time this year, so more sound advice from others may follow!)

Lyn
26/03/2014 at 18:25

I bough those from Parkers as well, bag of 50 and I had a spare. I started them of in deep seed trays, they were meat containers, then when I saw they had all taken, I potted them in 5 inch flower pots, i want them in pots, not in the garden, but a lot of people do plant out.  I wouldnt put mine out yet, bit cold

I did soak them first.

26/03/2014 at 20:33

Are they frost hardy once established or do you have to dig them up like dahlia?

26/03/2014 at 23:00

Yes, I would like to check too if the ranunculus are hardy perennials?  I planted 50 bulbs last October but very few have come up and those that have come up are just foliage about 15cm high.  Do they flower in their first year?

26/03/2014 at 23:15

Bulbs, corms, tubers etc.  These are all self contained.  Never mind when you obtain them.  For the time being.  Pot them up and treat them as if they were planted in the garden.  Time will tell.  Then you can transplant to the open ground.

27/03/2014 at 00:01

http://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/plant-0006200/ranunculus-picotee-pink.htm

Website says hardy perennial, CharleyD and cairnsie.  They should flower first year (at least I hope they do!)

27/03/2014 at 12:41

Thanks Smiffy G.  I think maybe where I planted them doesn't get enough sun and maybe it's too exposed to wind too.  Time will tell I guess ...

Lyn
27/03/2014 at 21:03

Mine are still in the greenhouse, I wont put them out until its warm. I dont think they are completely frost hardy, my daughter puts her pots in a plastic greenhouse over winter, i dont know where I will put 50 of them though! I will keep some in the conservatory, they are so cheap I think about 4.00 for 50 so if I lose some in the winter it wont matter too much.

29/03/2014 at 20:05

Thanks I may try a couple

01/04/2014 at 16:05

oops forgot to soak planted some in pot and some in west facing bed let's see!

02/04/2014 at 00:30

I planted mine in autumn last year, as per instructions from the Sarah Raven website - I have a few pots sprouting quite nicely, and others with no sign of growth yet. Has anyone else ever done this, with or without much success?

Cate 

email image
14 messages