London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
10 messages
05/06/2014 at 16:49

i planted my ranunculus bulbs a couple if months ago, 2 klots in pots, 1 lot in a bed, they all look yellowy and straggly, no sign of a bud, i just put a general granulsar feed on 2 days ago, any other advice please?

Lyn
05/06/2014 at 19:09

Mine are the same, in fact I was about to put it on the ' my failures thread.

I have had a couple of flowers and they were lovely but the green is all yellow and after pulling out, they didnt seem to make a decent root.

I havent got time to mess about with them, confined to the compost bin.

05/06/2014 at 22:23

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48310.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

I planted mine in November last year in a planter outside my back door, they were all supposed to be cream..... turned out yellow, this is their first year. They were stunning but had flowered and died by the end of April, my cornflowers have now grown up and taken over hiding the sad remnants. I was wondering if I should leave them in the pot for next year or will they be a one year wonder?

06/06/2014 at 08:47

lyn sorry to hear that, sara they're incredible! i'd ber jumping for jioy if mine looked like that! i think they're supposed to be perennial? wondefr if i planted mine too late? got on offer from crocus, received no instructions at all so not impressed, if it wasn't forr help here goodness knows what i'd have done with them, really hope they do something,was so looking forward to them

Lyn
06/06/2014 at 08:53

As I said, I have thrown some away, the really weedy ones.

They do come up every year but I am not sure if they are truly hardy everywhere. My daughter keeps hers but she is in Cornwall, much warmer.

Maybe keep some back, the best ones ,pot up and keep in the greenhouse if you can, they may be better next year, as most things are.

18/06/2014 at 08:33

thought i saw a bud but it came to nothing, leaves on one lot in a pot completely yellow, obviously no hope this year, should i just leave them now or lift bulbs, store and replant? if so how and when? any help greatly appreciated, these plants have set me a challenge, i will see flowers, i will!!! grrrr!!!

18/06/2014 at 09:03

I got some from Peter Nyssen and planted them in April.  They look good.  But I put some that were too many for the row in the greenhouse, thinking they would come earlier and they look unhappy. Perhaps they like the freedom of a bed (I think there's a joke there somewhere).  

Anyway I'm looking forward to the flowers.

18/06/2014 at 09:30

welsh onion, what did you do that i didn't ? they've been a sorry story all along oliage floppy and straggly no hint of flower, the ones in the flowerbed no better

18/06/2014 at 12:15

I planted ranunculus this year too.  I think I put in 20 into a bed and have only had flowers on 4 which is dissapointing considering I had grown them for cutting.  Looking at the plants I think the tiny bulbs that I put in the ground were probably too small to flower this year.  I'm leaving them in place to see what I get next year.

18/06/2014 at 16:16

They haven't flowered yet, but I have great hopes.  They are in a row in a raised bed.  The plants in the bed are for cutting.  Gladioli (several rows), anemones (flowering now) and dahlias.  

As the bed is  in the vegetable rotation the soil is well fed.

email image
10 messages