Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Received 48 perennial plugs, but what do I do next?

CaralCaral Posts: 301

Hello, on Wednesday I received 48 plugs from the GW special offer (just had to pay for postage).
I've planted them them 4 per pot with in a vermiculite and compost mix. But what do I do with them next?  
Do I just leave them on the window sill in the kitchen over winter?
Or will they be okay outside? I don't have a green house, but do have a small propagator.  
Will be able to plant them out in this autumn? Or next Spring?  

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

May help if I said what they actually are.

Achillea Cassis; Echinacea Primadonna Rose; Nepeta Mussinii; Geum Lady Stratheden and Salvia Blue Queen. 

• Hi Caral....all those are hardy and can be planted out....GW only sends plants in the season they belong to.....i hopeimage

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

I potted mine up 1 plant to a 9cm pot grew them on for a bit in an open plastic green house so I would say outside is fine now I have planted them out into a border outside to grow and get bigger on there own

Hampshire Gardener
  • CaralCaral Posts: 301

Thanks Stephen 7.

Gardengirl, I have now done the same as you and popped them into plastic greenhouse. How long before they can go into a border? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I would leave them until next Spring when they should be big strong plants. It can be very tempting to pant out very small plugs, but you will lose many by doing this.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I would also keep them back for next Spring, they will, by then be in 5 inch pots and be a lovely sturdy strong plant.

They need to be planted in their own individual pots so the roots can spread out.

The Echinacea and I think the Salvia and Nepeta will instantly be chewed right off to the ground by slugs, so take care there.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I got some free perennials earlier in the year, I have grown them to fill 1 litre pots and will be planting them out in Autumn.  However the ones I've received recently (the ones you have) I won't be planting out until Spring, as advised by others.  That way I can make sure they are strong plants with good roots.

My free lavenders I will also be saving until Spring.

I hope this helps, I'm quite new to garden too and have done the above following advice from our fellow gardeners on here image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I must admit, when mine have been off the ground in the GH and in my nursery area but have still been attacked by slugs, I have used a few slug pellets but very sparingly as I don't like to.

I am going to invest in some big trays though to put gravel in as this will help with watering and as a slug deterrent. 

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

I had my plants in the pots for a month and planted them out a few days after the pic I posted earlier, I will say they will be fine after a month of growing in the pots and being looked after to get planted out.

As I only have a plastic green house and that will be put away before it gets too cold so the plants would be out in the open anyway and the border I have planted them into has a nice layer of new compost and they seem to be doing good so they will grow nice and strong out in the garden before the really cold weather kicks in.

Hampshire Gardener