Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Recomendations for golden 3-0 high yew hedge

I want to plant a formal golden yew hedge to an eventual height of about 3'-0.
There are various cultivars around and 3 that i have seen offered for hedging are Elegantissima, Semperaurea, Golden Carol and Aureomarginata.

I want to get this right first time and would welcome recommendations and comments.

Thank you

John

• Verdun, thank you for your advice, I have a few Standishii which are a decent size now, but I would guess a hedge of this variety would take a lot of plants and Standishii isn't cheap.

However it makes a magnificent specimen.

Copper shine sounds like it may do the job, how long have your plants raken to reach their present size and how large did you plant?
  • I've looked online and searched the rhs plant finder for coppershine and can't find any info apart from your posts and no online retailer offering the cultivar.

Where did you purchase "coppershine"?
  • Thank you Verdun, I really do appreciate your advice.

• Are they slow growing?

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..it's easy to get plants mixed up especially from way back when...and with similar foliage...but I've always thought Verdun's much mentioned Taxus Coppershine is in fact Coprosma 'Copper Shine'...   also not available in this country probably due to its hardiness issues, as with all Coprosmas...  - very mild garden plants only...

...I don't believe there is such a plant as Taxus Coppershine...

...for your 3 foot hedge, Lonicera 'baggesons gold' is probably cheaper and similar...