Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

red banana ensete

i bought two red bananas yesterday reduced to 4.99 each. i have looked at various sites and found conflicting advice so do i cut them down now and keep them dry for winter or keep them just ticking over for the winter and cut hard back and repot in the spring. obviously they will be in the greenhouse and protected from frost

• DiddydoitDiddydoit Posts: 801

Hi Ann I have several warieties of bananas and after watching video after video's it does tell you to chop the stem down to around 6" tall place in a cardboard box and fill will straw or other insulating materials like polystyrene.How ever I have for the past two year's I just left my Sikkimensis in the greenhouse and it has survived.The advantage of this is that it maintains it's height.My greenhouse is only small 6' x 4' and I use a small 2' tube heater which is the equiverlence of using 2x 60w light bulbs but it's just ideal to keep the frost at bay.I am also going to store my elephant ear plants in the same way.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Sounds like Ensete ventricosum Maurelli - I hope it is not Montebeliardii as that grows to 14ft after 2 years!

They are hardy to 4C, so you will need to keep the greenhouse above 8C with a view of the whole greenhouse staying above 5C.

As they are in pots don't water at all, even if the leaves die back. Any moisture over the winter will invite rot. If they are small then near a south facing window indoors should be OK.

Ground planted ensete (next summer??image) need lifted before the first frosts, cutting the leaves off and taking most of the soil off the root ball. Then tip the plant upside down to allow any water trapped in the pseudo stem to drain away. This is important to avoid rotting. Then stand upright in a pot or tub bare rooted and store in a cool dry darl place (attic). Check occasionally for signs of growth in spring (Feb to Apr). Once in growth pot up in well drained, almost dry compost, and grow on cool ready for planting out after the last frost.

Dr Diddy - the advice for insultating banana with straw is correct for cold hardy Musa Basjoo where you use chicken wire to create a cage around the pseudo-stem and wrap with straw to keep the moisture out but enough air in to stop rot.

Over winter dry when in pots if you have a place a couple of degrees above freezing to store them. Don't water at all, even if the leaves die back. Any moisture over the winter will invite rot

For ground planted bananas lift before the first frosts, cutting the leaves off and taking most of the soil off the root ball. Then tip the plant upside down to allow any water trapped in the pseudo stem to drain away. This is important to avoid rotting. Then stand upright in a pot or tub bare rooted and store in a cool dry place. Check occasionally for signs of growth in spring (Feb to Apr). Once in growth pot up in well drained, almost dry compost, and grow on cool ready for planting out after the last frost.

- See more at: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/page.php?id=38#sthash.rPQ40yZ6.dpuf

Over winter dry when in pots if you have a place a couple of degrees above freezing to store them. Don't water at all, even if the leaves die back. Any moisture over the winter will invite rot

For ground planted bananas lift before the first frosts, cutting the leaves off and taking most of the soil off the root ball. Then tip the plant upside down to allow any water trapped in the pseudo stem to drain away. This is important to avoid rotting. Then stand upright in a pot or tub bare rooted and store in a cool dry place. Check occasionally for signs of growth in spring (Feb to Apr). Once in growth pot up in well drained, almost dry compost, and grow on cool ready for planting out after the last frost.

- See more at: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/page.php?id=38#sthash.rPQ40yZ6.dpuf

• thank you both for that info, it is maurelii so according to the lable it shouldnt grow taller than 1.5 metres

Ann

They can get to 3 metres - that depends on a lot of factors though! You can remove leaves and that compacts them somewhat.

• well blairs the skys the limit i suppose image but seriously i dont mind how big they grow i intend growing them in big pots and have plenty of space.

i have grown cannas and dahlias for the first time this year and the combination of colours, textures and hights has been fabulous so as usual i have to try something new for next year to expand the theme

thanks again

Try the HTUK website - lots of good advice on their. The forum is down today though.

• yes i did try earlier but couldnt get on i thought it might have been my tablet but will try again later

Ann

• DiddydoitDiddydoit Posts: 801

hi Ann

I have several bananas,cannas,and have just purchased this year several elephant ear corms and wow what an impact it made well worth the effort. all the of the later need plenty of feed and water but not that much as to where they become water logged.i also introduced some calla's and another grape vine.

Dave.