London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
14/09/2013 at 23:16

If they are in the ground leave until November and then the flower spike will be easy to pull out. The greenery, just grab a handful and pull. Do this all around the plant and you will be left with a tidier plant. I've been doing this for 10 years and none of the platns have died.

30/09/2013 at 14:26

I live in the north and planted a red hot poker last year and had about 12 flowers on it cutting the dead ones off for more to grow and noticed when i've giving it a good watering it seems to help more flowers come as I read somewhere that they need plenty of water. For some reason it flowered in red and yellow first then green and yellow, is this normal or have I two plants in one?

03/11/2013 at 22:25

I live in the cold North of England.  I've had a red hot poker plant in my garden for absolutely years and it did nothing.  We cleared everything to put up a new fence and got rid of a lot of overgown shrubs.  It's more open now and what with the lovely summer we've had guess what, the red hot poker was amazing this year.  Loads of flower heads, 'tho like others, not for long.  Now I'm left with long, hanging, untidy leaves.  I'll tie them up as suggested to protect the plant over the winter and then I might try cutting right back in the Spring to make it tidier. I've seen nicer plants than mine but I don't want to loose it. Fingers crossed.

Lazy Gardener

04/11/2013 at 10:44

I think you leave the flowers untill Jack frost has been at them.

James

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages