London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
3 messages
12/03/2013 at 21:20

I have three potted indoor hibiscus which I would like to become less bare. Would it be ok to cut back into old stems above an old leafnode to get it to shoot new branches and become less bare. They could do with a buliking up.

It's about to start to flower so I probably have to wait until that is over.

12/03/2013 at 22:48

Hard to say, because them hibiscus will be wanting heavy duty sun and temperatures, if you cut back they might just die back, seriously, lots of 'indoor' plants which are sold in the UK don't do very well because aside from temp, they need sunlight intensity, something the UK isn't too great on..

If they are straggly , I'd suggest moving them to the brightest place in the house, top dress and let them get on with it, if they are happy, then cut back next prunning season. The fact they are a bit bare indicates maybe light intensity isn't high enough. Just my thoughts.

12/03/2013 at 23:58
I've had the oldest for probably ten odd years and its forebarers were grown indoors in Sweden for at least 50 odd years so I think the climate won't kill them. My current flat is a basement flat but might move them outdoors if we get some sun this year. It probably would do them good as long as they don't get scorched as they did two years go.

The reason they have gone a bit bare is due to erratic watering. I think I'll try on one and see how it goes.
email image
3 messages