London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
5 messages
19/06/2014 at 15:46

I have a plant growing in my garden whose name I've forgotten, but below is a photo of one of its leaves. I planted them as tiny bulbs in spring, and its flowers have just started blooming. Unfortunately, they're all appearing lower than the large leaves, so you can't really see them.

Would it be a good idea to start cutting off these large leaves to expose the flowers?

Being bulbs, I assume they'll need the leaves to build up energy after flowering for next spring, but at the moment I can't really see any flowers.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49916.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

19/06/2014 at 15:52

They look like nasturtiums, I'd leave them alone, when they start to flower you'll have trouble seeing the leaves as the flowers are prolific.

19/06/2014 at 15:56

They aren't bulbs the seeds are big though

19/06/2014 at 17:53

And they are annuals so if you want them again next year, you will need to sow them again.

19/06/2014 at 18:56

In my experience, they self seed prolifically; though they are easy to pull up if you don't want them in that location. Some Nasturtium seeds now say on the packet; Flowers stand above leaves, as with some the flowers can hide behind the leaves. They are prone to being attacked by Cabbage White Butterflies, that is a good reason for planting them near Cabbages and other Brassicas as they deflect the butterfly's attention away from your food crops

email image
5 messages