London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
5 messages
02/03/2014 at 18:37

During some building work at home the workmen have unfortunately, by combination of scaffolding and boots, destroyed a rose from our small bed. To keep the symmetry I would like to replace it but I know perceived wisdom says not to plant a rose where there has been one previously. What is the worst that can happen if I give this a go and does anyone have first hand experience ?

Many thanks.

02/03/2014 at 19:39

Hi Ivyhouse. From what I understand if a rose has been in the same spot for a number of years subsequent roses may struggle to establish. I would personally still plant another rose ensuring its planted with plenty of well rotted manure and some of that mycorrhizal fungi (think that's the correct spelling!)

02/03/2014 at 20:00

As it has not died from disease, I would just replace it and hope for the best.

02/03/2014 at 20:26

The problem of replanting a rose where one has grown previously is now really no longer the problem it once was. Science and plant breeder discovered the lack of plant aiding fungus and came up with Mycorrhizal Fungi.

As allium says replenish the bed and give the new rose roots a generous sprinkling of the fungus spores, water well and let the new plant get on with it.

Science knows relatively little of what goes on beneath our feet, so gardeners will benefit from the growing body of research now going on.

The fungi is readily available, just buy the type recommended for roses

03/03/2014 at 10:51

Dig out a hole, put a cardboard box into the hole, plant the new rose into the box with new soil. The rose should be well established by the time the box has rotted away

email image
5 messages