London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
4 messages
17/09/2012 at 21:17

We have recently cut down a monster conifer hedge (8ft deep, 20ft high) which has been growing unchecked for the last 25 years. Behind the hedge is a stone wall, and now the hedge is removed, my dream is to plant and cordon fruit trees over the wall. However, the soil is acidic, is full of pine needles and is rather dry. Does anyone have any recommendations?

17/09/2012 at 23:20

I'm no expert but the soil in that area could be acidic due to the conifers dropping their leaves over a long period of time, which I'm sure you have already guessed.

It might be worth checking for acid content in soil in other area's of your garden, if this  isn't acidic me thinks the soil under were the conifers grew will revert back after the ground has been exposed to the elements. It might need a helping hand though and double digging in some well rotted muck may help.

The ground will be dry due to the conifer roots taking up the moisture, once removed and after rain depending on your soil type you'll find the moisture returns if plenty of muck is added. 

We are coming to the window time to plant fruit tree's, presumably you are looking  to plant them this year!

18/09/2012 at 06:16

Have you managed to dig the conifer roots out?  We had a similar (short) hedge removed but the roots remain. 

18/09/2012 at 13:05

Thanks for your comments.

I think the soil in our area is quite acidic anyway (other gardens contains Azaleas, Acers etc) but I'm sure the hedge will have made it more so. I'm hoping to get the roots out, but I think my husband has other ideas!

I think my best bet will be to contact a fruit tree nursery and ask fro recommendations.

email image
4 messages