London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
31/03/2014 at 19:30

I have a growing issue, pardon the pun. I am finding it increasingly difficult to walk past those plants the supermarket's and garden centres have given up on, who lazily slap a reduced sticker on them for a quick sale. To appeal to suckers like me, who refuse to let a plant give up without trying. I know nothing of plants really, I'm totally new, but today I rescued not one, not two, but 4 plants from almost certain death. I paid £8.75 for the privilege too. I'm not sure if that was a bargain or not, or a silly thing to do, I don't much care. I don't know what they are, bar one lowly, never watered Rosemary bush, which was 20p, I don't even know if they are indoor or outdoor plants, but as I'm trying to fill up my front garden space with as many bright pots as possible, I got them.

Maybe it's worth mentioning before moving to this house I was involved in rescuing cats. Now I don't have the space to do that I appear to have begun rescuing plants. What have been people's best finds, that blossomed into something magestic?

31/03/2014 at 19:41

There is more joy in a gardener's heart when the 50p plant thrives and flowers, than there will ever be over the maintenance of the expensive shrub or tree!  If a 'bargain' ever looks a big twiggy, scrape a bit of the bark with a fingernail, and if it's green underneath, that is a sign of life!  Just don't let the shopkeeper catch you.....

'a bit twiggy' even - where are my specs?

yes, I am a rescue planter ,I love the challenge of bring it back to life and my daughter who feels sorry for half dead plants keeps me supplied .I have had some wonderful bargains  that come back to life with a little T.L.C .(very  often its because they have not been watered).

31/03/2014 at 19:45

what about delicate droopy pansies for instance? There must be a point of no return surely? My rosemary was so dry when I watered it it just floated on the water to begin with, but soon lapped it all up! Sadly the trays of violas that were 10p were entirely dead, I'm surprised they hadn't just thrown them out to be honest.

I'd love to find more cheap plants though, my other finds were hardly cheap, being £2, £3 and £3.50! (down from £4, £6 and £7)

31/03/2014 at 20:00

Your best bet is places that don't sell plants as their main business.  They get some in because it is spring, but don't have anyone on hand to look after them if they don't sell quickly.  Places like B & M, and to some extent 'The Range' although they do have a small garden section, and Wilkos, Poundstretcher, Lidl, Aldi etc.  The plants quickly look the worse for wear because the shop assistants don't water them, and they don't really know much about gardening, so a wilted plant looks like a dead plant.  Sometimes our garden centre has good bargains in the 'home for distressed plants' area, but you have to know your stuff.  The bigger the plant, the more likely that it will never really have a tidy habit and regain its shape.  But obviously that is a generalization and a lot depends on the variety.  I never pay more than 50p for a rose, but they often aren't the variety shown on the packaging, so it's a lucky dip!

email image
6 messages