London (change)
Fri 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
4 messages
16/06/2013 at 09:12

i inherited my garden about a year ago, and there are about 6 established rhodedendrons that are in flower at the moment and are beutiful. they are about 4 foot across, but the leaves are looking a bit pale and sickly. I'm not a huge fan of them, but dont want to destroy them, so will they trasplant into some large pots full of ericacious compost that i can dot about on paved areas?

16/06/2013 at 09:14

You can get dwarf Rhodies that do ok in pots, but I doubt if it would work digging up established ones. Do you know if you have acid soil?

16/06/2013 at 09:16

I don't know rhododendrons but other established shrubs would struggle to survive this. You'd have to trim back the roots to get them in a pot and you'd be left with thick stumps of root and none of those fine roots that absorb moisture and nutrients

16/06/2013 at 09:38

Hi Lisa

It does sound like the'yre not happy in your soil, though you could try giving them an acid-type feed over this season. It really depends on the age and root run of the plants. I think you'd struggle to move well established Rhodos to pots, but if they're struggling now I think you've nothing to lose by trying.

I love Rhodos and grow mine in pots. Just to try and persuade you they're worth the effort, I have a 30-odd yrs old one which I've just re-potted over the years into bigger and bigger pots.While most (but not all) have a small flowering season, there's not much can compare.

A bit of root pruning will probably be needed. Yes ericaceous compost is a must, then water in some sequestrene or suitable fertiliser. Give it a go, you've nothing to lose!

email image
4 messages