12 messages
05/02/2013 at 17:00

I have a small, not very well established rhododendron that I uncovered in a border last summer just after I moved into the property. It has been doing absolutely fine until recently when we've had hard frosts, snow, heavy rain and gale force winds!!! The leaves are sagging downwards and I've noticed that they are starting to turn brown all over as if they have died. At the base of the plant there is a lot of moss growing around it. There is another rhododendron in the same border which is perfectly healthy. I wondered whether moving it may help?? I would very much appreciate some advice on what I can do to help this plant as they are so beautiful when in flower.

05/02/2013 at 20:13

My advice would be to leave it for now to see if it recovers and move it- if needs be- later in the year-it could just be the conditions

But if it is a sickly plant then moving might haste its demise

I would remove the mossy bits though

05/02/2013 at 21:36

Thank you so much for your advice. I will leave it and see what happens as the weather here is pretty horrendous at the moment. I'll definitely remove the moss and perhaps give it a feed. Time will tell!!!!

10/02/2013 at 16:00
10/02/2013 at 16:05

I wouldn't feed it just yet, maybe at the end of March?  But you could give it a mulch of well-rotted garden compost (keep it away from the stem) when you've got rid of the moss. 

11/02/2013 at 13:59

We have a Rhododendron that looked like it was dying, but it later developed lots of health new growth lower down (where there were no harsh winds beating it up). Have cut the whole thing down to where the growth is healthy, and hopefully all will be well.

12/02/2013 at 16:31

Thanks for the advice. I have cut back the diseased leaves and I can see new growth. I have also got rid of the moss and mulched it. Fingers crossed everyone that it will survive.

14/07/2013 at 13:55

My Rhododendron's leaves and stems are coated with an orangy powder-like, washed away but kept resurfacing again, please help. Thanks 

14/07/2013 at 14:12

Chan I think that's rust but as I've never had it I can't advise on what to do. I think you need to remove affected leaves/branches as it will spread. I'm sure someone here will know though! If not try doing a search online as I'm sure there will be lots of info available. Think it's quite common on rhodies so hopefully yours will be fine!

15/07/2013 at 07:18

hi all.

i too have a problem with my Rhododendron and that was heat from last weekend plant got burned in the sun we were out at the time,looks like it mite be ok as new center shoots are ok.

so gardeners be ware heat damage

14/03/2014 at 11:21

My small rhododendron is in a large pot. As with 'Garden Girl' the leaves are curling  and hanging downwards. Each branch has produced healthy buds .it has been fed with microgrow. Should I plant it in our poor sandy soil or trust to luck and wait and see if it recovers.

14/03/2014 at 19:32

I have a problem with my dwarf  winter flowering rhododendron not producing many flowers and recently went to an evening with the lovely "Charlie Dimmock" she said Rhodies like tanin and suggested I put old teabags (split open) round base and also mulch with well rotted leaf mould. 

email image
12 messages