London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
20/06/2012 at 19:57

when would be the best time to move a 1 metre high rhododendron

23/05/2014 at 13:09
Would be very interested in this answer too, as l have one that is in the wrong place behind a shed and l want to move it to a position where it can be appreciated. My thought were once it stops flowering it could be moved
23/05/2014 at 13:48

I asked something similar a few days ago re some azaleas, someone said best to move them whilst they are dormant, ie end of winter but then someone else said the azalea was fine to move now as it only has a small root ball.  

So I did that yesterday, plenty of mulch / ericaceous compost and water and will see how they get on. I'll just need to keep them well watered over the dry periods. I'll add I did also move a small rhodo that a friend gave me last year and in fact it had hardly rooted in at all, so i just lifted it out of the ground and am trying it somewhere else. 

Generally the after it has flowered applies to pruning (i got mixed up with that one too)

I'll hasten to add I'm no expert, just giving it a go.  Good luck. 

23/05/2014 at 14:00

It's one of those things that largely depends on your own conditions in the garden and your climate.  I've moved conifers/pieris and potentillas even in the middle of summer, but I live in an area with high rainfall so it's easier. I make sure that the hole it's going in is well prepared with compost etc, followed by  good  aftercare - a general feed, watering and mulching till established. If you can do that then go ahead - but normally autumn would be the best time as the ground is usually favourable and the plant can get going enough before winter.

Peanuts - if the one you moved hasn't established very well, give the roots a bit of a tease out before you put it back in the ground and make sure the hole it's going in is a decent size. Plenty of water initially and you should see new growth fairly quickly. Sometimes they just sit if the conditions aren't great so the more help you can give at the start, the better the result 

23/05/2014 at 15:36

I'd agree with fairygirl here, if it's finished flowering move mulch heavily, feed and keep an eye on it, it will give it time to establish before bud production begins.

23/05/2014 at 16:19
Thanks all ????
email image
6 messages