London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
6 messages
11/08/2012 at 12:46

I have recently bought one of the above and was thinking of putting in a planter in front of a wooden fence panel. Searches suggest it can grow to anything from 3 metres to 6 metres (currently about 1 metre). Will it need serous staking? Also hardiness seems to vary on different sites - I'm in Hampshire? Any advice gratefully received as I love this plant and want to do my best for it! Thanks, Janet

12/04/2013 at 18:16

The south of england frosts are never too severe and your tree will certainly need support and training. My question relates to the potential height and whether it can be planted in a container nd if so what size please?. How wide and deep do the roots go, bearing in mind the potential height.

12/04/2013 at 19:11

Its more common name is Trachelospermum jasminoides. It won't need staking as it's a twining climber and will need a supporting framework to climb up through. And it can easily grow to 20 feet plus. It is not reliably hardy in colder parts of the UK. I live in Lincolnshire and my garden is a bit exposed and the only place I would put it is on a warm west facing end of our house wall that goes up more than 20 feet, but it's the bother of creating a framework that is putting me off. 

http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Trachelospermum/jasminoides-AGM/prod7896.html

12/04/2013 at 20:49

Mine is in a fairly sheltered garden, being trained up one of the supports of a pergola. I live in a milder part of GB but in the snow earlier this year, it was covered in so much snow that it slid down the support and was reduced to half its height. It remained like that for a couple of days before I brushed the snow away and tied it back up. It does not appear to have come to any harm, so it must be fairly tough despite its classification as half hardy, on this website.

15/09/2013 at 09:17

I bought this plant as a conservatory plant, it is looking most unhappy with drooping leaves. Whats wrong ? Phyllis Galway IRELAND

15/09/2013 at 09:24

It will start to drop its leaves at this time of year. Have you given it enough water?

email image
6 messages