Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Richard's Clematis

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Last year generous forum member Richard Hodson shared lots of his clematis seeds with us

This is the story so far with mine. I have one set that hasn't germinated yet, but as the last but one has only recently germinated I'm still hopeful.

Thank you Richard

Has anyone else got any photos?

imageimageimageimageimageimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Excellent  !!  There could be something special from the Lemon Beauty, Diamond Anniversary and Twinkle, fingers crossed.  The other seeds could still germinate, some take an awful long time. The mandshurica can be planted out now, I hope it is a good scented form.  Word of warning, be careful with the My Angel offspring, they can be quite invasive, lovely flowers and seedheads but rampant, thanks for showing.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Richard, mandshurica will be planted.

Diamond Anniversary offspring seems pretty robust as well

This is mom Diamond Anniversary.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Lovely, she's beautiful

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

She is a beauty.  No seeds here but I shall post a pic of the wee Maxima plant Richard kindly sent me last autumn.  it's doing very well.

I bought a My Angel the other day along with Astra Nova, I am Happy, Jackmanii Purpurea and Tie Dye.   All now potted on into deeper pots while I get on and make new beds.   It may be a while......

Clematis get going much earlier here than in Belgium and I already have good strong growth on Blue Angel, Crispa, Jan Fopma, Lambton Park and two more whose labels have mysteriously disappeared - all brought from Belgium in big pots.

I'm looking forward to finding some good alpinas.   They always got frozen to death in my Belgian garden.

Last edited: 29 March 2017 08:51:39

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's gorgeous Richard. I'm not keen on pastel colours, but that's stunning.

Very  impressed with your seedlings nut. image 

Hope you get more success with the alpinas in the new plot, Obelixx. I'm looking to get a few more for here. I think I prefer the flower size of them to the other earlies too, and also the shape and habit. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

lily kindly sent me 2 tiny clematis 'twinkle' a few weeks ago, I must thank both her and Richard, they are still only 3 inches high but looking very healthy

Here she is with the new clems lurking at the back.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Fairy - I really like the alpinas and the macropetalas but they always came into leaf and bud just in time to be frozen to death by a late heavy frost.  Even a montana Elizabeth was wiped out one year - only covered a  20m fence and then gone in one b-night and never recovered.

Should be OK here as -6C is the worst we've had and they consider this cold round here.

Plato
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Mice got all but 6 of my seedlings last year. image

Some more in the propagator so fingers crossed for this year.

Devon.