London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
4 messages
04/07/2013 at 20:04

Hi, I have a question about a rockery in my garden. The house and garden are about 100 years old, so some of the plants have been around a while - like those on the rockery at one end of the garden. In fact, the plants are pine trees and are around 30-40 feet high! There are 6 or 7 of them.

This week, I have renovated the rockery as it had been neglected for some years. I trimmed all the trees of their lower branches and removed about a foot of pine needles, exposing the rocks for the first time in years.

The rockery faces east and has a flat top. It gets some sunshine around mid morning, but the rest of the time it is shaded. When it rains, only about 1/3 of the rockery actually gets wet, so it is very dry.

So my question is, what plants can you suggest to grow on it - it is very large, east facing, dry/arid, gets little rain, little sun and the soiul must be extremely acidic (not to mention a little like concrete!)

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks.

05/07/2013 at 13:43

Hello, I am not at all knowledgeable but if I comment, it will stop you falling off the first page and pop you higher up so all the much more knowledgeable folks can assist you!

I do know that my parents also have a huge rockery and I know they have several succulants which seem to thrive and flower beautifully. Next time I am there I will read the labels.

05/07/2013 at 16:58

I would keep with the alpine theme in these conditions.Rhodohypoxis are acid loving alpines and are exceptionally pretty flowerers. Also gentians, corydalis, erodiums, saxifrage, sedums, species bulbs including daffs and tulips. Buy a basic book on alpine plants which will give you lots of choice. You will not be disappointed.

05/07/2013 at 19:46

Hello, know nothing about acid/alkaline soils but I have some snowcap in my rockery and is lovely, gives loads of white flowers in the spring to early summer.

Bugle seems to grow any where as well

email image
4 messages