London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
5 messages
01/03/2014 at 10:31

Hi all any help please. I'm a complete novice gardener and moved into a house last year with a huge garden. I think I've done a pretty good job so far but I don't know what a lot of the plants are or what to do with them.

wont go into all of them now (although I'm sure I will eventually) but right now I have a Rhododendron which last year bloomed but then one day after some heavy wind all the petals blew off. I haven't touched it since and it looks just the same now but I thought it should have pods?

should I be doing something now or is it too late?

01/03/2014 at 10:37

Usually Rhododendrons just get on with it, you can't stop the wind. It should have flower buds at the moment. After flowering you can very carefully pick of the dead flowers, but you mustn't damage the shoot. When I had a lot of big Rhododendrons in a previous house I never bothered and they were fine.

01/03/2014 at 10:42

novice get a picture and post it on here, it might give us a further clue.

Usually they are hard as nails and right now they should have plenty of fat flower buds.

Is it the flower buds/petals there are problems with or the whole plant?

01/03/2014 at 10:51

A pic would be a big help Novice. As Liz an Dave say, your rhodie should have plenty of buds just now. Has it had further wind damage and are any other plants round about it affected?

01/03/2014 at 19:53
I actually jut cut the old head off just above the nearest leaf with a new bud coming up - but it's only a tiny bud near the leaf
email image
5 messages