Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rodgerisa

steve howesteve howe Posts: 55

I have planted several Rodgersia aescufolia along our streamside this Spring from 1ltr pots. The plants seem very slow into growth despite some rich compost added at planting. Do they take a while to establish or are Rodgersias naturally slow to increase? also, one plant has developed coppery red leaves - very attractive - but I wonder if this is normal?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Steve - I used to grow Rodgersia in a previous garden - this one's too free-draining.

I remember new plants taking a little while to get going - they also really like their roots in damp to boggy conditions - although yours are by a stream is the bank dry?  We've had a very dry spring. 

The new leaves are the ones that  are lovely copper colour then they turn greener as the season develops.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Oddly enough I planted a bare rooted one this year Rodgersia Bronze Peacock.  It's not in a particularly damp spot but it is in the shade and it has done brilliantly.  Lots of growth and has flowered. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • steve howesteve howe Posts: 55

Thanks guys,

I think I need to be patient, the plants are indeed in damp to boggy conditions so they should be happy

Steve