London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
12 messages
03/03/2014 at 18:29

bought a rosa rugosa that's all the info on it, photo is pink but who knows what it may really be.. cheap and hopefully cheerful from aldi, really wanted flower carper pink, thought i saw it last visit but this was all they had today, and after a long walk with double buggy just thought i'd get it, anyone got one and what sort of size  and shape is it?

03/03/2014 at 18:42

It will grow quite tall, I have a hedge of them and I have to cut it down to around 2 metres to keep it in check. The flowers have a glorious scent, and there are huge hips like tomatoes. It's also very prickly. I've seen it grown in supermarket carparks etc, where it forms a nice mound.

04/03/2014 at 07:18

thanks landgirl, i read up on it ,ot is larger than i'd like, i'm wondering if i could plant it alongside jasmine which is along west facing wall and has bare leggy growth at bottom, it would hide this, could i keep it as low as a metre do you think? also would it allow existing snowdrops to show under it, planned a couple of hellebores there too, am i barking up the wrong bush?

04/03/2014 at 07:46

I think it's a bit big for that Louise - they really do tend towards the rampant, and if you kept it short you'd probably lose the flowers.  They're very thorny - do you have a bit of boundary which needs a bit of an intruder-deterrent?  It would be ideal for that job.

As for hiding the jasmine's 'legs', one of the  English roses from David Austin would probably fit the bill - or.............

Just had an idea!  one of my real favourites!  Rosa Bonica!!!

It would be perfect there - never grows too big, flowers all summer, all the time, and the prettiest pink blooms.  Enough for cutting for the house as well as making the garden pretty, and I've grown it underplanted with bulbs and hellebores and it was very happy there. 

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=944

04/03/2014 at 07:50

Good morning,

I bought 20 bare rooted  rosa rugosa from ebay at a very reasonable price. I've planted about 15 so far and had the rest heeled in in the veg plot. That is my task for today to plant the rest of them. I'm making a hedge with them. I didn't realise they grew so tall but that's not a problem. They are supposed  to be rabbit proof and so far they haven't been nibbled. I hope to use the hips for jam and rosehip syrup.

04/03/2014 at 07:55

They are usually sold as hedging plants in my experience. 

Lyn
04/03/2014 at 10:50

They grow here on every side of the property, so dont mind shade or sun, every year a clump of it pops up somewhere else. we never even planted it in the first place, spread by birds maybe?

04/03/2014 at 11:26

..they do sucker quite a lot, and over time the spread can be quite wide... the latest Rugosa rave plant, especially in America is David Austin's 'Wild Edric' .... this makes a superlative hedge by all accounts or planted as a single specimen... the foliage is especially fine...

for scent.. I found the white 'Blanche Double de Coubert' difficult to beat... if you ever fancy that one...

'Agnes' is a gorgeous yellow...

04/03/2014 at 18:57

thanks all, dove, bonica is lovely, we have small gardens though and already have a definite wishlist, only got rugosa as was sooo cheap! and i only like pink and white roses, fussy so and so aren't i

04/03/2014 at 19:14

If you have a small garden you definitely don't want rosa rugosa!

05/03/2014 at 08:25

ok thanks dove, at 3am when up feeding and changing had brilliant idea to give to my friend who has a smallholding, it'll be perfect for her, thanks for warning me before i ended up taking all of the front garden up with it! that'll teach me not to buy bargain plants... or not!!

05/03/2014 at 08:37

sounds ideal for a small-holding - goats love rose bushes (I know, I used to have goats on a smallholding )

email image
12 messages