Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rose cuttings

I saw monties video for taking hardwood rose cuttings

im just wondering on similar method to put in pots

i am presuming hardwood do not need a greenhouse, bag environment?

so just pot up loads of cuttings and leave in my garage over winter that has light coming in.  should get roots in spring and bring out after the frosts?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

They don't need to be inside.

Leave them somewhere sheltered , against a hedge or shed etc. Just make sure they don't dry out.

Devon.
  • im not sure i have the room outside

i sort of do in large open veg patch maybe but not sheltered and hard for most things to grow due to winds

• in pots was the original question and would ideally like to grow in pots later, not the ground.  maybe just use the ground to help get rooted and established

the veg patch gets all the sun and wind so most things haven't done well

have tree saplings, oak and beeches and acer that just dont like it, rosemary loves the site though

but i have an idea for another patch i could make that more less exposed

• i was just thinking a few in a pot in garage on bench in front of window over autumn and winter etc

then when rooted and frosts past to bring out for the main growth, larger pots the following year maybe

• nope, im renting and have some nice white and some pink/yellow in garden so wanted to get some cuttings for myself and maybe add to garden pot area next year

i have a purple i bought in a pot on its 2nd year, i may take a cutting from that also. got only 2 large flowers from it this year though

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Bonsai Marc they would be better in ground pots can still dry out in winter. Ht roses won't be good as cuttings because they are grafted on to root stock for stonger growth image
  • Ht?

• Ok thanks

Yes the purple could be a ht, suppose  they all could be really but worth a try though