Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rose dilemma

I have a tall yucca type tree about 15' before the green starts. I have seen a rose called Rambling Rector, has anyone grown one and do you think I could train it up the trunk. only just starting to make a rose bed and have some Bush roses ready to go in but thought I could add some height.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

When Rambling Rector gets to 15' it's barely startedimage

On its way to 150'

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • You reckon to big then haha I had better think of something else to grow up it. Thanks for the advice or it would have been yet another expensive mistake.image

• Love rambling rector!!!! Yes it is a beast, in that it will happily reach 5m up and spread but it is gorgeous! If that's too big for your situation but you fancy a rambler what about "goldfinch" smaller but equally lovely, the petals start yellow then fade to white with time, it's supposed to only get to about 3m, but mine is a little bigger. If you really want white, "snow goose" is a good small rambler, double flowers (more so than rambling rector, well mine is) and unusually repeat flowers too. Also love "wedding day" but that is another beastie (and reminded me I need to attend to the top of the pergola!!) Always liked "felicite-perpetue" as well, but not grown it yet thou- pink tinged white flowers. Have fun choosing!! image 

• Oh gosh ! now I really do have a dilemma. Thanks for your suggestions I'll certainly hunt them down and choose the strongest looking, being new to roses they might need to fight for themselves a bit.image

• You'll be fine; can't go wrong with a rambler-programmed to grow! Enjoy! Sounds fab!

• I have a rose call wedding day growing on a my pink blossom tree, it looks lovely, first I have the lovely pink blossom then just as the blossom goes in comes the roses and it has been there for over 10 years now so It covers the tree pretty well.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have Wedding Day too, trained sideways on the veggie garden fence, 7m wide. Smells lovely, but only flowers once.

I have a small repeat flowering rambler called Malvern Hills, from David Austin. That is a much more controllable size. Pale yellow.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Wedding Day Sounds the kiddie image   I have been looking at the website on training a rose pillar looks a bit tricky but if I manage it, it would be goodimage