Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

westgarden
I had a rose bought for me and my husband planted it, but it is not deep enough, the graft joint is about 15cms above the ground. The rose is flowering but I am worried that it may be subject to problems later. Should I replant it now, wait until later or leave it as it is?
nutcutlet

I think I'd mound some soil up round it now and replant in the winter.

but I'm not a rose expert, see what the experts say

Steve 309

New husband?  Retraining?

fidgetbones

When was it planted. If it is within a week or so, you could replant it now. Much more than that and I would wait until winter.

Salino

..leave it for now and replant in November...so that the scion is either level with soil or just below [my preference]....  then you could treat it as a bare root rose if you wanted...removing the compost and soil and spreading the roots out...depends how much root ball you get with it.... not a problem at that time of year...

Advertisement

westgarden
Thanks for all your comments, although I'll keep the husband, at least he tried! I will leave it now and replant in the winter.
Obelixx

I'd replant in autumn when the soil is still warm and will encourage new root formation.  Water well before you dig it up and again after replanting.   .   Plant it with the graft join one to two inches below soil level.  Give it a mulch of well rootted compost or manure

Like mine, your husband needs some training but he scores points for trying.

pansyface

As nutcutlet says, mound some soil round it and wait for a dormant time. And mound some soil up round husband while you are at it to press the point home.