London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
10 messages
06/02/2014 at 15:09

Bearing in mind what a mild Winter we have had, I have hesitated to prune my roses, and they are romping away at all angles unchecked! Should I leave them in peace this year? The climbers are not included in this question as they are under control. It's the Shrub Roses and the Hansa

06/02/2014 at 17:16

I grow rosa rugosa....they are extremely hardy and I usually prune quite late ie around feb/march time....but it's best to refer to the rhs website for specific breeds and their numerous idiosyncrasies.

06/02/2014 at 17:43

Hi. If you are in the North like me I would wait till early March, if in the soft South now would be fine.

06/02/2014 at 18:29

I've just given my roses a prune to get them in good shape; I'm in the Fens and it isn't very cold at the moment.

KEF
07/02/2014 at 20:06

I should have read this before asking about pruning roses earlier today  

08/02/2014 at 14:27

I pruned my rugosas really hard last year and they were fabulous afterwards. Do I do this every year, or should I leave them until 2015 as the shapes are good. It is very mild here ( as everywhere I think) My neighbour succeeded in nearly murdering my roses last year when he tried to kill his conifer hedge. I lost nearly all my shrubs my side, so hesitate to prune too hard after this set back. Should I just tip to the nearest leaf bud perhaps?

08/02/2014 at 15:01

An expert rose grower once told me "you can prune them hard, you can prune them light, you can prune them early, you can prune them late, they will still flower!"

Edd
08/02/2014 at 15:09
Roger Brook wrote (see)

An expert rose grower once told me "you can prune them hard, you can prune them light, you can prune them early, you can prune them late, they will still flower!"

I know a man who goes over his with a lawn mower and has fantastic results every year.

08/02/2014 at 15:36

Lawnmower's a bit drastic! Sounds like my husband, It never ceases to amaze me what he 'didn't see'!!

08/02/2014 at 21:37

Hey! I'm lost for words..  Thank God, for that, I hear someone say

It always seems that pruning roses tends to cause heads to scratched, and perhaps the odd nightmare.   Possibly the main cause for concern is, the many varieties of growth.  Most favoured time to prune is just as the winter season is ending and the re-awakening of plants begins with the start of spring.  Basically the idea of pruning is to, restore a good shape to your subject.  Cut away damaged and flimsy growth.  Might I suggest that one checks the original description of the plant.  Is it bushy, upright, vigorus, climber, rambler etc.  HT's and florabunda can be cut almost to ground level.  Climbers etc, vizualise where and how you want new growth to go.  Actually for most of the growing season.  We are continually pruning.  Each time you cut a bunch of roses.  Youare in fact pruning.  So.  Do't worry too much.  As members have posted.  In most cases the rose will come through even the harshest of treatments.

email image
10 messages