London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
9 messages
06/08/2013 at 21:17

my roses have flowered and gone will they flowered and gone, will they flower again this summer or is it time to prune?  how is best to do this?  

also is it ok to move roses??

06/08/2013 at 21:25

Will they flower again? That very much depends on the rose. What varieties do you have? 

Moving roses now? no,no,no. Not now. From November to March when the weather is neither icy, frosty nor soaking wet with rain. Those two perfect days when you are stuck at work in other words..

06/08/2013 at 21:26

some roses flower again, some don't shelly. what have you got?

you can move roses in the winter but old ones can have very large roots 

A lot of roses benefit from dead heading but some produce decorative hips in the autumn.

06/08/2013 at 21:36

ok thank u,   when is the best time to prune and how do i do it x

06/08/2013 at 21:39

Are we talking about a hybrid tea/ floribunda, knee high type of thing or are we talking about getting the step ladder out?

06/08/2013 at 21:56

step ladder out they r very tall not sure which type   they just roses to me, they was in the garden when i moved in,

06/08/2013 at 22:13

Well, in that case you don't want to be teetering about up there for too long, do you? I'd just cut off the flower heads when they have died back, cutting to about quarter of an inch above a leaf. That way the rose will grow from the little bud that's in the joint between the leaf and the stem. If you choose a leaf that is pointing outwards away from the centre of the plant you will end up with a nicer shape.

Next I would cut off any old, dead bits that you can see. Then go inside and put some sticking plasters on all your cuts and scratches.

06/08/2013 at 23:23

can i take cutting and where from is best??

have u any idea what kind these tall rose's r?

can i cut them far back to make them shorter? as pain in the butt to manage whan to tall

07/08/2013 at 21:01

Sorry for the delay in replying. I typed out a response only to find that I wasn't signed in, even though I had signed in. So when I posted the reply the whole thing shot off into outer space. I then had to go out for the day. So here goes again.

You can take cuttings, but some roses are more amenable to this than others. To take one, wait until September. Then, choose a shoot that has no flower buds on it and which is about 3 or 4 mm thick and about 30 cms long. Let's call this Shoot A. Shoot A is attached to a stem which is thicker and probably thornier. Let's call that Shoot B. Cut shoot A off at the junction with shoot B making sure that a small sliver of shoot B is attached to the base of shoot A. This sliver is called the heel and it is where the roots will grow from. No heel = no roots, so be sure to get a bit.

Now trim the top most leaves off shoot A and push it gently into some soil in the garden until about half of it is buried. Choose a place that will get a little sun but not be baking, not be in complete shade and which you can be certain will not be disturbed in any way for several weeks if not months. Give it a little water and leave it alone. Do not be tempted to dig it up and see if it has roots, even if the leaves begin to grow. Leave it until the early spring. Then you can have a look.

As to which rose you have, it is almost impossible to say even with a photo. there are thousands of rose varieties. If you want to post a photo someone may be able to identify it.

You can cut roses back to make them shorter but, like hair, they grow again. And if you have long curly hair it will always want to grow back as long and curly. Each rose variety has its own shape and size and it will always want to be like that. If you keep cutting it down it will not want to flower.

OK?

email image
9 messages