London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
5 messages
13/07/2013 at 10:44

Hiya I'm hoping someone can help. My mams roses have stopped developing buds. Does anyone know why this has happened and is there anything we can do to save the plant? She has other roses elsewhere in the garden which seem to be fine.

TIA

Debbie

13/07/2013 at 11:10

What variety is it. ?

Some roses(Most actually) only flower once a year. The newer hybrids are bred for repeat flowering so they flower all summer long.

So long as its not actually dying, and you dead head any flowers that are finished it will build up strength for next year

14/07/2013 at 10:30

I'm not sure which variety it is but it hasn't flowered at all this year and my mam is pretty sure it never flowered last yearwait her. The stems and leaves look healthy.

14/07/2013 at 10:40

I dont know if it would help them flower but I was told that banana skins are an excellent rose food - try feeding them it wont hurt and might help stimulate some flower growth?

x

14/07/2013 at 10:46

Same problem. I have a David Austin climber - Mortimer Sackler - in a large pot.  Not ideal I know but no other planting option.  It flowered all last year.  Mine was allowed to dry out too much earlier this year just as it started flowering so I have put it down to stress and have loaded the pot with West+ in the hope that it will form buds.  Leaves etc healthy. Hope yours recovers 

email image
5 messages