Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Roses

Hi there,

So, I'd read that now was a good time to move roses and at the weekend, we moved a couple of lovely ones from the front to back garden.  We invested in some decent rose compost and dug big holes, watered in well.  When OH dug them up, there were just roots but no root ball, i.e no soil.  We planted as soon as we could but does anyone think they'll survive?  Also, I hadn't realised you were only meant to do it when they were dormant but there are still some buds that look ready to open - I didn't want to snip them as they look so pretty but should I really cut them back to help them live?

Thank you in advance

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

You want your roses to be putting energy into making new roots for next year's growth and flower show so yes, prune any flower buds off now.  

Next spring, cut any dead or damaged stems back to a new bud and feed your rose with some slow release food such as blood, fish and bone and give it a liquid tonic of rose or tomato feed. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd cut them back a bit to avoid root rock through the winter and I'm sure they'll be fine.  They need to put their efforts into roots not flowers now.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you obelixx, thats good advice, will prune them

• Thanks also nutcutlet, will get pruning!

• I had a similar experience last year and with the winter we had, as bare roots the leaf mulch I put down around some protected them, those I didn't get to in time died.  Maybe a dressing of bark mulch in case we get the promised bad winter - just an idea

• Thank you Abifloralartist

As we have our new borders covered in bark mulch from the trees we shredded this year, they are already covered - although i did leave a gap around the base to prevent root rot (I you do this with trees anyway). 

Thanks for the vote of confidence i am doing the right things

• catnipcatnip Posts: 73

Whilst we're on roses- anyone know how to treat black spots on leaves organically?