London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
4 messages
15/03/2014 at 12:30

I put back delivery of some bare root roses due to the wet weather, but they are now due to arrive in the next few days.   They will be in a raised bed previously occupied by perennials - I'm weeding and digging over the plot and have some farmyard manure (in bags from GC) to add.  New to growing roses,my question is - should  the manure be spread and left for a while or should it be dug in?  And should I add anything to the planting hole?   Your advice, please

Many thanks

This question was posted in TALKBACK in error - apologies. Pink P

15/03/2014 at 12:40

I would dig the manure into the bed. 

I would apply micorrhizhal fungi to the roots of the roses (following instructions on the pack),

and

after planting I would sprinkle some Fish Blood & Bone over the soil surface and 'tickle' it in with a hoe.

15/03/2014 at 14:02

Quick everybody run - Dove has her tickling stick out again!

Yep, farm yard manure bought in bags from a GC can be dug-in immediately as it has already been composted for you.  It's only the fresh stuff you need to be careful of.

16/03/2014 at 12:46

Many thanks Dove and Bob, I've started to dig in the manure and wlll use the micorrhizal fungi (bought from GC yesterday), already had the fish blood and bone so now fully equipped!  Hopefully the bed will be ready when the roses arrive - I've ordered from Peter Beales having been given a catalogue by a friend.

Tempted to sit in the sun today, but keen to get things done - the raised bed has a border of lavender and has a Salix Flamingo as a 'centrepiece' and an acer dissectum at one end.. Will the treatment I am working on now have any adverse effect on these?   I also need ideas for other evergreen shrubs to ensure all year round interest .........?

Thank you both for your advice

email image
4 messages