London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
4 messages
06/04/2013 at 16:30

I know someone here will have an answer to this, I am due to move house over the summer, only over the road into my Father-in-Law's old house, so not far, and can do most of it gradually.  I have a  huge rowan tree in my garden, that is like an old friend, it provides shade in summer, and is home to a cheeky blackbird and his missus, who tells me off every time I go out to the patio.  This year it, and my bird feeder, have kept many birds alive through this awful winter.

I'd like to take a cutting of my old friend, so I can have one of her children in my new garden.  Could someone tell me how to do this?  There are no self-seeded saplings I can see (unlike the holly bush that grows near it and keeps popping up on the patio), there were loads of berries but the birds have had nearly all of them.  So how do I do it?  I'm assuming a cutting would be the way to go?

06/04/2013 at 16:51

Never heard of anyone getting a cutting to root. Seed is best (if you can beat the birds to it). They need stratifying to get them to germinate. Otherwise if it is a special form then they are normally grafted on to the common Sorbus species.

06/04/2013 at 18:52

I never get seedlings from my rowan. I wonder why that is. All the other native (or introduced a long time ago) trees do. Maybe they don't germinate having been through the birds. But I would have thought they'd have died out by now if that was the case.

06/04/2013 at 19:17
email image
4 messages