Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Runner beans

LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

Well, Ive planted some more runner bean plants 'scarlet emperor'. Just hope this lot will beat the frost!image

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Watch out for slugs.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I have only just started mine off in pots in a cold GH. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Charlotte & Pink Fir. I tried PF last year when you recommended them and loved them. 

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

yes ive really gone to town on protecting from the slugs.image

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

ive got plenty more seeds if this lot go arwyimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Probably worth sowing some in pots under cover now to plant out in May or as spares.

Several years ago I was working in a National Trust garden and more or less running the Victorian Kitchen Garden.  I asked one of the old hands in April whether it was too early to sow runner beans indoors,  He said, yes - wait till May.  I sowed them anyway and put them out in May, and they were fine.

• I sowed Borlotta Lingua di Fuoco 2 at the beginning of April and they are already well on the way to being two feet tall, they're hardening off in the greenhouse atm. I've never grown beans before so it's all try it and see what happens with them.

• remember runner beans are tropical plants and need it to be warm before planting outside.  I too have only just sown my seeds in cardboard toilet roll inners for long root run.  I am finding copper tape is brilliant at repelling slugs.

• Rosemary51 when you say warm what sort of temperatures are you thinking of? I live in Nottingham so last frosts should be in a week or two.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The traditional thing is to sow April/May in the greenhouse, then plant out in late May, with a seed next to each plant.  This give the chance of two (or more) plants on each pole, but at least one if the seeds fail.