London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
7 messages
03/09/2012 at 16:49
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11404.jpg?width=350

can anybody tell me what this plant is.grows very fast and how might I take cuttings thanks

PS. click picture to enlarge

03/09/2012 at 17:58

It certainly looks like Russian Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica ) and if it is it is one of the most appalling weeds going. It will take over the world given half a chance. Many people think it ashould be on the banned list like Japanese Kotweed and Himalayan Balsam. Why on earth would you want to take cuttings of it?

03/09/2012 at 19:05

Yes, Russian Vine - It looks to me as if you've got one or at the most two years' growth there - give it another year and it'll pull that trellis down.  I've seen it pull downpipes and guttering off houses.  When we moved here we found remains of it under the roof tiles!!!  The last owner had cut if off the house and gutters but hadn't done the tiles - that's been our job.  The original roots of the Russian Vine were 12 metres away at the other end of the garden!  

If you really want to propagate it just stand back and watch, it'll root everywhere a branch touches the ground.

Don't say we didn't warn you!!!

03/09/2012 at 20:46

Yep - totally agree you can actually see it growing.  I planted one a few years ago to provide us with some privacy and it has taken over a 30 ft long fence already and most of the neighbours shrubs on the other side so it's coming out!!

03/09/2012 at 22:44

I agree with the other posters here.   What on earth do you want to take cuttings for?    It is known as "Mile a Minute" and everyone I know who has ever planted it has come to regret it and taken it out again!

14/09/2012 at 22:26

I had this at my old house and I would clip it back then in a fortnights time it would be at the same place I had clipped it back from wouldnt ever want it again.

15/09/2012 at 18:13

I even tried growing this in a pot but it didn't make any difference, it still grew and tried to take over everything. Believe me you do not want to take cuttings of it, one is one too many to have. It does have pretty flowers though, at least its got something going for it.

email image
7 messages