London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
21 to 40 of 52 messages
16/05/2013 at 09:57

I didn't agree with the "burnt at the stake" bit, but that was a joke! In fact, only just noticed that bit!!

16/05/2013 at 10:32

I love the analogy of chucking them away like boyfriends / girlfriends. Perhaps when I pull them up when they are in the wrong place I can imagine they are people I dislike.

16/05/2013 at 11:02

I went mad with annuals for a couple of years and loved the seed sowing and having little plastic greenhouses which gave the impression of lots of things going on and lots to see.  And the cheapness of packets of seeds I suppose.  Novice gardener thing - if there are lots to see it looks as if you're achieving something and have loads of colour around before the 'main' garden perennials grow on a bit.  I was in the novice gardener psyche of 'good grief - I sowed that and it actually grew and flowered'!

I went mad again last year but planting out and so much rain and rotten weather really put me off making such an effort this year.  I haven't sown a thing as my perennials have come on pretty well and there's little space - only masses of pots to do something with now and I'm very late even thinking about it.  I love some of the annuals though - especially multi-coloured nemesia seeds casually thrown into window box planters - they just do away and look amazing by late summer.  It seemed so easy and beautifully colourful.  It's only about 8 degrees here - can't believe it so cold still and I'm only now contemplating sowing outdoor sweetpeas because I have nothing else to grow up my permanent stakes and netting.  I'll pop out there today and do it all the same in the hope of some 'tall' colour by late summer early autumn.

I think I'm just having a lazy attitude to feeling I'm always fighting the weather!

16/05/2013 at 11:40

I just love annuals,there ive said it. couldnt imagine not looking through the seeds catalogues straight after christmas and planning for the summer.Sowing the seeds and nurtering them,then looking at my garden in full bloom and having the satisfaction that everything has been grown by myself. Being retired I obviously have the time to do it and keeps me busy through the worst months of the year.

16/05/2013 at 13:07

...clearly, lots of people like their annuals... I think I prefer a mixed garden and am not keen on a front area given over to them entirely... as you often see, but I wouldn't want to be without a few Begonia's or Busy Lizzies here and there...

..tender perennials, used as annuals are another favourite, if they can be got ready early enough - such a long season.... Alonsoa 'Rebel' is my current 'hottie' from that section... I wonder if other gardeners like this sort of thing...

16/05/2013 at 13:32

Annuals are great for new gardens, as they give almost instant impact, but I do like perennials, as you plant them once, and as long as the place and soil suits, them, you don't have to do it again.  I love scented things, and if you can't eat it, and it doesn't smell, then it doesn't tend to get planted in my garden.  There are a few exceptions, but not many.

Lots of people use their garden to park on, so it's gravelled, concreted, paved etc, so I think a few big pots or hanging baskets of colourful annuals helps soften things a bit and provides some welcome colour.

16/05/2013 at 13:50
punkdoc wrote (see)

I love the analogy of chucking them away like boyfriends / girlfriends. Perhaps when I pull them up when they are in the wrong place I can imagine they are people I dislike.

I save the pruning for that punkdoc...

Salino-that was quite a racy comment about boyfriends...

16/05/2013 at 15:07

This is the first year in about 5 where I haven't planted any annuals apart from sweet peas and cosmos. Mostly that's due to a lack of space and all window sils and two cold frames packed with veg seedlings for our allotment for our first whole year there.

I think the longer we live with our perennials, watching them go to sleep through the autumn and waiting patiently for signs of life in the spring, they become like good friends returning after a holiday. I think annuals are different in that respect, less of reunion with a much loved friend and more of a flirtatious glance shared with a beautiful stranger in a supermarket perhaps. Joyous too, of course, but different.

16/05/2013 at 15:39

Is it just me- or is this  thread getting a bit steamy...

Flirtatious glances...ooh err Matron....!

Salino and Leggi- cold showers now.....

16/05/2013 at 16:07

I thought that was rather poetic

16/05/2013 at 16:15

...ooh, Leggi, you and I appear to think on similar lines, in some respects...

...racy... I like that...

16/05/2013 at 19:43
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

I thought that was rather poetic

Me too, Lizzie, wie must be softies

16/05/2013 at 20:42

.....FG.... you do make me laugh...

Heliotrope 'Marine' is an annual I adore yet find it so hard to obtain... as plug plants that is... I used to see it on the south coast but not farther north... scented, upright little bushy purple headed plants to edge a border...

16/05/2013 at 20:50

Hiya Salino.

Another annual I do like.  Easy from seed.

However I grow the perennial one, Chatsworth, and this is even more fragrant.  I take cuttings in September or late spring.  Chatsworth  makes a bigger, bushier shrub and I grow them in pots on paths or by the front door etc.  (I've not long potted on my cuttings into 9cm pots. They grow quickly to make flowering plants by July )

16/05/2013 at 21:00

...aww, I've not heard of that one Verdun, thanks for pointing that out... I've just been looking at it... very nice indeed... I shall have that on my list for next season...

I've just noticed Sarah Raven is doing plug plants of 'Marine', but I'm full up for this year now...

...nice to hear of someone else who likes these plants... you don't hear of them as much as we should, I think...

19/05/2013 at 09:51

I forgot about Sweet Peas, they mostly come up, but apart from these and the ones that self-seed - like Californian poppies - I get nothing or a very poor show. Maybe I give off negative vibes when I'm putting them in  

Or maybe they don't like Radio 4. I'll try some heavy metal instead!

19/05/2013 at 19:17

Salino just waiting for mine from Sarah Raven should be here this week  i know them as cherry pie plants because of their amazing smell. Plus great for bees and butterflies.

Verdun didn't know about the perenial one will it be fully hardy here in north Manchester?

19/05/2013 at 20:19

Hiya Aliesh

No the perennial heliotrope won't be hardy there where you are but it survives happily in a cold greenhouse.  You can dig them up and pot them in the autumn or/and take cuttings now or durimg the summer.  I took cuttings few weeks ago and yesterday potted them up Imto 9 cm pots. They will grow quickly and in a month will go into 1 litre pots thence into the ground or large pots in mid summer

19/05/2013 at 20:32

Aliesh... yes Cherry pie plants, I've heard of that too.... hope they are fine plants that you get from Sarah Raven... I shall leave it till next year now as I want the Chatsworth form as well....  I like the way the scent carries on the air a bit with these, as you walk past... you know...   ..it puzzles me really why we don't see these more readily available... I don't know a plant centre around here that I've seen them in...

19/05/2013 at 23:14

I like to fill any gaps so it's a thumbs up for annuals from me.

All my annuals come as free seeds in gardening magazines so if they get to the stage where they can be planted out I try to find space although this year due to the bad weather, cool temps and poor light there aren't many to plant out.

My preference though, would be biennials although there's less of a choice.

By October time my veg beds are almost empty, so, as a first, last year, in modules sowed bellis, sweet william, foxglove and parsley in July, for planting out in a nursery bed, vacated by veg in September and October. Cornflower and sweet pea do well in a GH over winter.    

On the plus side and on sunny days, I get alot of bee's in the garden, especially round the bellis which has been a star performer. 

21 to 40 of 52 messages