Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Salvia greggii and Clem Daniel Deronda

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It's two queries really:

1.  My Clematis Daniel Deronda is not happy where he is - I think the problem is down to the soil needing lots more organic matter dug in.  I plan to dig Daniel up, cut him hard back and put him in a large tomato pot with lots of good soil and compost and give him a bit of tlc and get him growing strongly while I improve the soil by his trellis before moving him back at a later date.  When shall I dig him up?

2..  In front of Daniel is a very happy Salvia greggii - it's been there for two or three years and is the size of a wheelbarrow and blooms its socks off.  In order to improve the soil for Daniel I really need to enlarge that bed and move the Salvia forwards into the new bit.  What's the best time of year to do this?

So really, how would you plan the entire operation?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Dove.

Agree about the Clematis. I would pot it up in Autumn.

As for Salvia, I would probably move it when it starts into growth next Spring.

You could then re plant both at same time.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Take cuttings of the salvia now. Any non flowering shoot if you can find one, or dead head a flowering shoot to make it form some side shoots that you can use.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I took some cuttings of the salvia (it's Trewithen Cerise) earlier in the year when I cut it back - they all took and grew on well and Wonky and Nut each have one and I've got some planted out in another bed - but yes, I'll take some more image  along with some of the Salvia greggii Icing Sugar  image

And plan to move Daniel late Sept/early Oct image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.