Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sambucus Nigra - help

I had a lovely Sambucus Nigra which flowered earlier in the year.  It's in a large pot and is about 6ft tall.  Over the last couple of weeks leaves have dropped off which I wasn't too concerned about but the branches are slowly dropping off and I am looking as though I will be left with just a stick with a few leaves at the top.  Does anyone have any ideas or is this a lost cause  image  thanks for any help

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

HW, don't worry that is what it does. Mine is in the garden and at this time of year it ends up looking like a frame. I've had it 5 yrs and it comes back fit and heallthy each spring. Don't overwater, or underwater in the pot, just lift it a little to check the weight to see if it needs some water. It is hardy.

Let us know when it bounces back into life in the spring image  p.s. Mine in the garden has self set and I've grown them on in a pot and given them away.  

• Never heard of anyone growing this in a pot! In my garden it's a pernicious weed and now that it's dropped its leaves I'll be out there getting rid of as much as possible! Or is it a fancy variety?

The end of October 2013. Not a good picture as far blacker than this, pic taken to show berries.

• Kef, is that the Black Lace or the Black Beauty?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Black lace. image

• Thought so - I planted a Black Beauty in the bed outside my window at work, but the window replacement men stomped all over it, despite my having pointed it out to them - I suppose it may survive - if someone pulls the weeds out in that bed now that I've gone!!! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Done in a couple of years without you pruning it they won't be able to see out of the window. image

• Before I left I scattered foxglove seeds all over the grounds - there've never been any there before - I wonder if anyone will notice and put two and two together .........

• Thank you Verdun and thanks KEF I did wonder about putting in in the ground when I first got it. Anyway - glad that it may be not as bad as I first thought-much appreciated for all your helpful comments  image  I will let you know what happens to it in the spring!!image