Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sambucus Nigra

Help! My beautiful sambucus nigra, which has flourished for 4 or 5 years is almost bare of leaves this year, no flowers and it's really struggling. Has anyone any idea what could have gone wrong? We had a very wet winter and the soil is heavy clay. Could it have drowned?  

Also, does anyone know how to turn my photo the right way up, please???

• bugsybugsy Posts: 7

The photo rights itself wen you click on it image                                                                                      you can tidy it up if you like i chop my back any time  it comes back stronger and bigger

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Margaret says no flowers and few leaves this year so maybe last years photo.

Could we see a photo of what it looks like now?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Just seen the replies. You are right, Nutcutlet. That was last year. I"ll put a photo of this year tomorrow. It's a bit dark now, expecting a storm.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Where are you Margaret? There are some good rains about

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • In France. The storm was huge. The nearest lightning strike I've ever known - absolutely deafening thunder and terrific winds. Luckily, no damage. Photo coming in the couple of hours.

This is this year's sad photo. You can see the bare branches, luckily a bit disguised by the gaura flowers. 

I cut it back last autumn, Verdun. Was that the wrong time to do it? Also, that particular bed was waterlogged for several weeks in the spring, which is why I worried the roots might have suffered.

Any help welcome!