London (change)
Today 12°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
27/01/2013 at 20:35

A friend mentioned this plant, seen in a catalogue and described as a slug-eating plant;   I wondered if anyone had one and can they really see off slugs?!

27/01/2013 at 20:42

In theory yes-this is what Kew say about it

It is unlikely to make much difference to the slug population  

27/01/2013 at 21:26

I have one of those . Never seen it attract a slug but it does make a mean fly soup.

I suppose it would be possible if it was a much larger plant.

27/01/2013 at 21:52

it' s certainly an interesting looking plant....wouldn't go hungry in my garden !!!  did you find it easy to grow / take care of?

27/01/2013 at 22:04

I only started growing carnivorous plants last year but up to now it seems to be surviving.  I also have a sundew and a venus flytrap. I wouldn't say they are difficult but they can only be watered with rainwater and not be allowed to dry out in Summer. They require a resting period through the winter like other plants but I'll know better in Spring. 

This is the pitcher plant - not a very good photo though, Sorry.

You can just about see the fly on the left that it's about to catch.

10/11/2015 at 13:05

more the other way round!

Slugs love these plants. A few may well go inside and become part of the soup but I see more slugs living inside than have been eaten.

10/11/2015 at 19:01

Dead easy as people say, fed with rainwater and kept outside, especially during winter.  However, we have experienced various pests.  Aphids in very early Spring create deformed pitchers.  Birds steal the Sphagnum moss for their nests, and slugs have eaten both the pitchers and flowers.  In desperation I moved ours into the greenhouse for the Summer.  They thrived, and have now gone back out for their winter chill.  They shouldn't normally be kept indoors, however we have one variety which does particularly well in a cloche in a cold room, called Heliamphora Nutans.  As the cloche prevents insect access, I have to swat flies and feed them to the plant with tweezers.  Despite this yucky feeding process, it's a little beauty.

email image
7 messages