London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
21/06/2012 at 22:02

several of my neighbours have cats and they all like to use our garden as a dirt tray despite backing onto a huge field, I saw these in the garden centre and wonder if they really work, does anyone have any experience with these plants, would I need lots or are they a waste of money??  Any ideas what I can use to keep them off/out !

21/06/2012 at 23:15

I have found that just scattering a bag of marbles around keeps away my neighbours cats   when the sun hits the marble it looks like a cats eye....cheap and easy  any toy shop will have them for around a £1 a bag

22/06/2012 at 00:36

My neighbour's cats don't seem bothered by it. On the other hand, it has a lovely blue flower spike! You'd need several in the area the cats use - fine in the veg patch but not everywere. I think they smell of fox, so I'm hoping they keep rabbits at bay. They root very easily, so one or two plants would provide quite a lot quickly

22/06/2012 at 22:27

I bought the cat scarer that is a bit of black metal in the shape of a cat with marble eyes it was a waste of money. My son shouted to me one day to come and see a neighbours cat happily sleeping beside it!!. Is the plant hardy?

23/06/2012 at 08:51

it does not work.. i bought few years ago and they dont work..but nesting seagulls do..

23/06/2012 at 21:48

thanks for your comments, I don't think I'll bother with them, I have some of the cat scarers but they don't work either, will just have to cary on with the water spray or hose when I get the chance but having the cats in my garden limits the amount of birds coming in as the cats scare them off, I've had to stop putting bird feeders out as it just attracts the cats who come and sit in the flower beds waiting to pounce!  Maybe I'll just get a dog instead!

24/06/2012 at 13:12

I had them in the garden last year and the cats just ignored them so for me that was a waste of money,  at the moment I'm trying the Citronella on sticks method but of course all the rain has put paid to that,  in all honesty nothing works apart from netting the area or maybe the water cannon that you fix to a hose pipe but that has to left on 24/7 till the cats get the idea,  you could get a child's water pistol but then that means you have to sit around for hours waiting for it to get into shot.

25/06/2012 at 09:23

nope, i bought two and planted them outside my front door in a pot and guess what??? still the cat pee'd up my door lol

25/06/2012 at 19:44

I may have the answer,  a water pistol,  cats don't like water fired at them,  so my neighbour in the flat upstairs has bought 2 and given one to me,  I have heard this before about a water pistol,  only takes a few "squirts" on the cat then it get's the message so it's primed and loaded resting up against the kitchen window,  watch this space 

26/06/2012 at 09:25

The water pistols do work, the super soakers are best. I remember one day in my old house having a mexican stand off with one of next doors cats. I opened the door, we looked at each other and the music to high noon was playing in my head. as soon as I reached for the water pistol and tiddles caught sight he hot footed it back home. I then started leaving it out in the back garden on gaurd when we where at work, the only thing is you need to make sure it's always loaded so you dont have to faff and waste time.... spead is of the essence!

23/07/2012 at 23:51

I've posted a similar message on a cat problem thread elsewhere on the forum, but will add it here for those following this thread. Water pistols and super soakers seem of liitle help if you have a largish garden because they don't reach the pests unless they are fairly close. We invested in a "Water Blaster" earlier this year. An American water cannon like an outsize bicycle pump with claimed range of 60 feet - this is a fair claim. Bought ours from the manufacturer in California via website, but have since noted a UK supplier. Have rarely had a direct hit, but sound of squirt and falling water soon gets message across, and hardly ever have cat in garden now. Can be very quickly filled by sucking up water from a bucket and push handle to discharge complete tubeful of water. 

24/07/2012 at 07:40

You boys have to have the biggest toys lol.. That must be great fun Id like one of them too

24/03/2013 at 01:22

M aybe try and plant some catmint in areas of your yard away from your garden. It attracts the cats away from your garden. Maybe find the area where the cats are entering your yard and plant them there.

Try planting some Lavender in your garden, this is a good cat repellant as well as deer resistant. Sprinkle some dried blood (Blood meal) fertilizer in your garden. Cats can't stand the smell of dried blood, and it serves tow purposes, it's good for your garden.

Good luck.

Garden Guru

24/03/2013 at 09:17

Have just found an excellent method to keep cats away on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2tZUG8cpQ

24/03/2013 at 09:35

I found that cats hate being sprayed with water, I used to use my seed spray set onto jet but anything that sprays them they will hate (and of course it wont hurt them). I now have a dog so no cat problems in my garden. 

13/04/2013 at 13:28

Does anyone know where you can buy the Musk spray mentioned in the Youtube video?   Thanks

13/04/2013 at 13:38

Sorry to say that it didn't make any difference in my garden.But i purchases a battery operated cat scarier from the garden centre, It sends off a noise (thats we cant here)

RSPCA approved. Dogs cant here it.

It has been in my veggie garden for two years now. The  cats may walk into the garden ,but dont settle to do a poo.

Definitely worth in investment.

13/04/2013 at 13:54

Sounds like a winner, any details on where you bought it or the brand name?  Thanks

13/04/2013 at 14:25

Would also still like the brand details for the Musk spray, thanks

29/07/2013 at 16:37

I thought he said mussel spray ? We have tried everything Cat Scarer device that gives of a noise plants even lion poo 

1 to 20 of 35 messages