London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
3 messages
20/07/2012 at 16:08

I've tried growing a jasmine up the wall inside my house, and it will successfully do the climbing bit, but I've had no success getting it to flower  It's beside a small south-facing window.  I was advised to cut it back, and I did, and it died!  I grew another, which was also reluctant to flower.  It got straggly, so I cut it back and it died.  Everyone I know that has a jasmine, indoors or outdoors, tells me they can't get it to flower.  It's supposed to be an easy plant to grow?  I'm ready to give up on it altogether, so if anyone could suggest something else to grow in it's place?  Something that will give off a lovely perfume.  My house is very warm, so anything tender would work

20/07/2012 at 17:45

I think stephanotis would fit the bill http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=623

20/07/2012 at 20:41

Jasmine like dampness you could maybe sit your pot in a gravel tray to encourage a bit of humidity if the conditions in your house are too warm and dry. Ive found they dont like direct sun light! mine are sitting to the side of the window.I feed now and then. Ive found both my jasmine flower about christmas for 6 to 8 weeks. I have one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom both about 5 years old

email image
3 messages