London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
18 messages
28/02/2013 at 20:57

I have received today five tubers? at least I think that is what they are. Do I plant them in pots in the greenhouse or straight in the garden.  I live in Wakefield West yorkshire When planting do I plant them horizontal or vertical ( they are about 4" long). I love the look of Sea Holly but have never grown them before.

28/02/2013 at 21:03

Roots generally go down.

28/02/2013 at 23:35

I've had a selection of perrenials delivered today from Thompson & Morgan. Amongst them were three "Eryngium Planum" bare-root plants (Sea Holly). Like you, I have never grown them before but according to T&M they grow to about 2½' and should be planted about 18" apart. They should be 'planted vertically in relatively moist, well-drained soil in a full sun position'. 'They will tolerate very poor soils'.

Apart from Gardeners World, do always try searching on Google, etc for things you would like to know more about - there's such an abundance of help & knowledge out there. Best of luck with your planting.

28/02/2013 at 23:49
I would plant in pots and plant out in a few weeks. Look out for eryngium Jade Frost.....it's different. Fascinating foliage and wonderful shade of blue flowers. I don't like bare root eryngiums ...don't think they like root disturbance. Better as containerised plants I think
01/03/2013 at 07:57

Thanks for that recommendation, Verdun. I've not been pleased with the Sea Hollies I've had so far - taken up too much room for their decorative value. I,too, am suspicious of bare root plants, though I understand that those from Toby Buckland are good.

01/03/2013 at 18:31
Theres a dwarf seaholly GG. Its lovely.
01/03/2013 at 19:43

Thaks, Sam. I like miniature versions. I'll have a look.

01/03/2013 at 21:02
I cant remember the name but its a compacted one
01/03/2013 at 21:04

Eryngium variegatum is quite compact and doesn't fall over but it's not one of the bright blue ones.

I like the biennial Miss Willmott's ghost best, so do the bees.

01/03/2013 at 21:08

Thanks, Nutcutlet. Another educational experience!

01/03/2013 at 22:10

Eryngiums certainly don't like root disturbance but the method of propagation that is use doesn't stress the plant ( the potted plants are mounted on mounds of sand and left to mature before root cutting are taken from outside the pot, in the sand mounds, which are easy to move).

They produce very long tap roots, like carrots and parsnips, so a deep pot is advisable and they like sharp drainage so put plenty of grit in with your compost. They will happily establish in a pot before you have to worry about planting, although they dont do well if left potted for an eternity.

I moved a Eryngium a few years back which was sickly in the wrong place and it recovered well and is now a monster in the right place, but I wouldn't recommend doing this out of habit. They don't really like it because all their root is in one basket so to speak and yes, they need support topside to reward you with the finest displays.

01/03/2013 at 22:16

I am going to plant mine in tall plant pots and leave in the greenhouse until the warmer weather comes. They sound not to difficult to raise in the correct conditions.  i have a sunny poor well drained spot earmarked for them. Some interesting reading in all the comments

02/03/2013 at 09:44
GG...this is the one I was talking about
http://m.monrovia.com/plants/2964/blue-hobbit-dwarf-sea-holly.php
02/03/2013 at 09:46
Ermmm...im a little worried now. I have some seedling seaholly growing. How can I pot them on if they dont like root disturbance?
02/03/2013 at 11:36

Root disturbance is when you rip a plant out of the ground. It's had room to spread and tangle up with other plants underground. A pot is a contained environment, so long as you are gentle, the plant won't even know its gone in the ground.

02/03/2013 at 12:25

Thanks Wintersong for the advice I can plant in pots with confidence now

02/03/2013 at 23:16
Me too. Ta.
23/07/2013 at 15:17

What do the sea holly seed leaves look like? I have five planted in my garden and they have taken forever to show through, so I am hoping the large flat leaves I can see are the sea hollies coming up.. Any help would be appreciated. bizzybet

email image
18 messages