London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
02/07/2013 at 19:35

hi there was just wondering whether anyone could tell me the correct way to collect lupin seeds at the moment they have furry seed pods now do i cut them off and hang until dry or do i have to wait until they turn brown on their own then collect as i dont want to miss out as have heard if not harvested correctly the pods burst spreading the seed? also with gerimantion do i have to scar the seed amd soak before sowing? and how well do the seeds keep? thank you 

02/07/2013 at 19:52

Wait until the seed pods start to turn brown. when the bottom ones begin to split, cut the spike on a dry dat and invert into a paper bag. The seed will then pop out of the pods into the bag if stored in a warm dry place.

If you save the seed until spring and then sow one seed per module or small pot. Pot on as they grow.

02/07/2013 at 19:58

figetbones. Is it the same with foxglove, I'd like to save their seeds.

02/07/2013 at 20:03

Pretty much. You can save foxglove seeds to grow in trays next year, or sow now, or just spray the seeds around where you want them to grow and let them get on with it. This last method depends on you being able to identify foxglove seedlings and not hoe them out.

I save seeds in old pill pots that have a dessicant in.  (try your friendly pharmacist or grandma)

you could also use paper bags or envelopes. They need to be kept dry. damp sheds or garages are not good storage places. If the mice don't get them, the damp will.

02/07/2013 at 20:14

Hi darren, I've not collected seeds off lupins but I would think that you have to wait until they dry naturally on the plant. Lupins have loads of seeds,  I cut a lot of yesterday so you would only need to keep one drying flower/seed spike to have loads of seeds.

When I've grown them from seed I didn't scar or soak them, not sure how long they keep but I would think you more lilkely to get good results with fresh seeds.  Have tried to take cuttings rather than grow from seed? This is just a thought......I grew some from seed last year and they are still tiny so no flowers will have to wait until next

email image
5 messages