London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 4°C
3 messages
10/02/2014 at 00:40

Yes.  We are fastly getting nearer to that time of seed sowing.  All of a sudden we all tend to revert back to childlike days.  Wowee! all these seeds to sow.  Think back all you avid gardeners.   I have to admit.  In the past I have sttod there.  Loads of seeds. Countless number of seed trays, and of course the seed compost.  So here we go.  Today I feel on top of the world.  Look at that.  I started at ten am.  It's now lunch time, one pm.  Great thirty trays of seed sown.  Hey hang on matey.  Yes you have worked hard.  However.  These tiny seeds are going to start a new life.  Within the next few weeks.  Your seed trays are going to resemble lucious trays of turf.  Hey buddy.  I hope you have many friends, prepared to help you prick this lot out.   OOOps! Actually no.  I'm om my tod.

Lets face it friends.  How many times have we found ourselves in this trap.  The final result being.  Far too many leggy seedlings that have ended up on the heap, and of course, the very ones I wanted to save, have been lost.

So.  Take a look at the tips printed on the seed packets.  Don't be in so much of a hurry.  Most times.  The guidelines give you a space of a couple of weeks, sometimes even a month, during which you can sow.

Now.  How do you sow.  Lets sort out our collection.  Yes that's a biennial, thats a perennial.  Well actually.  If you have the outdorr space. I suggest you sow the seeds outdoors, especially veg seeds.

For the perhaps more tender types.  Then under glass.  No you don't need all these fancy propagating frames etc.  Perhaps the Impatiens will benefit from a little bottom heats, but not the end of the line.  Wait a while, until the soil, even in the greenhouse warms up.  Then sow.

How to sow.  Obviously for ease and comfort.  Sow thinly.  Subjects such as Alyssum and such border/edging plants.  These are pricked out in minature bunches.  For these. I suggest cell sowing.

Be sensible.  Seeds such as those belonging to the basic daisy families.  You get thousands of them.  Be honest.  Do you really want them all, least to say, the greater the number, the greater the failures.

Mikes advice.  If at all possible.  Stagger your sowing times.  Where possible, if the seed is large enough to count out.  Then I suggest cell sowing.  Cell sowing allows some time space.  The seedling is self-contained, so should you be a bit behind time, it won't suffer that much, and of course there is less disturbance to the minute rootball.  Friends.  Our hobby, our interest and in my case, my life's work.  I look around and see in parks gardens on the TV etc all these fabulouse gardens the take a look at mine, and I so often say to myself.  Mike.  You are supposed to be the expert, but look. Your tiny patch can hardly be seen.  Friends, fellow gardiners.  Don't worry.  Your garden is YOURS.  Enjoy it to the full.

10/02/2014 at 08:13

I agree Mike, I cell sow everything now  one seed per cell and only sow a maximum of ten cells for each variety unless it's for something like bedding lobelia. It's so much easier to pot on and you have ages before you absolutely have to. I find it difficult to chuck away seedlings that are surplus to requirements and end up with little pots all over the patio while I try and re-home them if I sow too many.

Lyn
10/02/2014 at 10:47

I never use seed trays to start of seeds, if you do , you will sow the whole packet, as Mike says, far to many, I grow lots of different seeds, all in those little Muller rice pots, that way you get about 20/30 of each variety not 500.

Lobelia  I sow in modules, a pinch in each, I do grow thousands of these, I have a big garden and like it as an edging plant.

I shan't sow any until March/april, you can't plant out until May so if they are up now, how big will they be by then! 

If your seedlings are leggy, you can repot them further down into the soil, but it is best to wait a bit for the longer days, nearer to when the clocks alter. 

email image
3 messages