London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
6 messages
24/01/2013 at 15:48

I spotted some seeds on the Internet for sale of a couple of plants I'd quite like to grow in my garden, nothing controversial just some bell flowers, however on closer inspection the seeds would be posted from Hong Kong.....

Does anyone know if it is leagle to import these seeds for my own use?

Any advise?

24/01/2013 at 16:38

Interesting question-have done a bit of "digging"-if you were importing in the normal sense i.e. flying in you can bring up to 5 packets of seeds

My guess is the same regulation applies-obviously if this was for commercial use there are probably loads of regulations

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/neighbour-disputes/importing-plants-and-seeds.htm

So I think you will be safe from prison-but if not will send in a cake in a file

24/01/2013 at 17:56

Bringing in seeds from the EU is OK.  From anywhere else they have to be government certified from a recognised and licensed supplier.  This is to reduce the risk of disease and other nasty pathogens and insect eggs entering the UK and Europe.

Why take the risk, not to mention all those air miles and dodgy quality control?

They're cheap enough to buy here and safe too and more likely to germinate because of quality controls.

24/01/2013 at 20:17

What seeds are you trying to find hare? Most seed companies have plenty of different bellflowers.

25/01/2013 at 16:15

I have seeds from South Africa, Thailand, India, Australia and the US. Mostly from ebay but some posted by friends. The only issue that I have had is the post - it takes at least 3 weeks.

There are risks as Obelixx has said though I have personally not had any problems with seed germination etc.

For bog standard seeds, go local when possible.

25/01/2013 at 16:55

I've bought loacl in the end, but I was curious after I'd seen them.....

Thanks for the offer of the cake & file sotongeoff..... could you make it a seed cake?

email image
6 messages