19 messages
23/02/2014 at 22:16

I have notist that seeds are so expensive now from lots of seed cumpanies like suttons ,t&m and jonsons  ,today I got larkspur seed in the packet there is 100 seeds from t&m  and they where £2.50, who thinks seeds are to expensive for what you get .

cody

23/02/2014 at 22:20

They are Cody, a ridiculous price,  you can get them cheaper from Aldi and Lidl, and I've seen racks of cheaper ones in the GCs. But there's never a big choice.

Make sure you save the seed from the larkspur

23/02/2014 at 22:33

At the end of the season , garden centres often reduce seeds, Last year I bought loads at 50p a packet. The ones in sealed foil packets are usually good for a second year.I always buy new seed for onions and parsnips, as they don't keep.

Also look out for  the seed swap later on in the year on this forum.

23/02/2014 at 22:41

I agree with nut, seed companies are charging well above. To be fair to them though seed developments do cost money and new varieties are expensive to breed, however some seeds of common plants which the majority sow are overpriced. We must all be smart in our purchasing habits and by buying at the discount stores we can force the prices down. The discount stores sell in smaller quantities of seed, thus reducing price, whereas the big suppliers often sell bigger packets, a lot of which is usually excess to what is required.

Smarter buying habits force market change, so it is all up to us really.

23/02/2014 at 23:22

Actually I stopped sowing seed for a couple of years.  Then this year I plumped for ebay advertisers.

I hope this doesn't contavene any website rfules.  Take a look at Premier Seeds Direct.  There is another supplier in Essex.  The most you will pay is 99p a packet.  give it a try.

23/02/2014 at 23:29

I'm with you Mike, ebay is great for seeds and mostly they're freepost and I've had good germination rates even though I'm only a beginner. Plants can be good value too, I bought three little Phlox Paradise Blue plants, healthy and strongly growing for £6 including p&p, bargain I thought.

23/02/2014 at 23:45

Seeds are a ridiculous price and the number of seeds in a packet usually far exceed how many you need or want.There are some seed companies on line which offer less seeds at a more reasonable price.    

I tend to buy most of my veg seeds..and flower seeds come free with magazines, that way you generally have a good read and get free seeds into the bargin.  

Saving seeds from both flowers and veggies works out more economical too and the real seed company encourages you to save veg seeds.

I also find checking out whats in the childrens section of seeds on offer from different seed suppliers useful, seeds are usually cheaper and sometimes offer the variety you want, for instance I purchased some Gourds ' Russian Doll' at Kew for £1 59, the same seeds in the adult section were almost double.      

23/02/2014 at 23:48

Companies have to make money, so some profit has to be expected to be fair. If you think of some seed as the start of your own collection (this years seedlings providing next years seeds) then the value for money is fine. You need to make your own judgement.

25/02/2014 at 07:14

I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon but you can't beat ebay for seeds I get most of mine more often than not 50% or more cheaper than buying from shops.

25/02/2014 at 07:18

Having said that some I get off the seed companies online you do get better deals online. Especially if your looking for that something different that they don't have in the shops.

25/02/2014 at 07:19

I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon but you can't beat ebay for seeds I get most of mine more often than not 50% or more cheaper than buying from shops.

25/02/2014 at 08:41

hi cody try poundstretcher in kendal

25/02/2014 at 09:09

I subscribe to a weekly garden mag, which works out £1 a week and you get a free packet of seeds worth £2,  

25/02/2014 at 09:20

Wilkinsons, B & M, The Range (good for seed potato and onion/garlic sets), JTF (if you live in the north - have to join though).  And to add to Zoomer's excellent point about children's seeds, I noticed a range of 50p seed packs in B & Q the other day, aimed at children.  You could also arrange a seedling swap with a local gardening group or neighbours, where you start the tomatoes, someone else starts the chillies, someone else the dahlias, etc. Although you would have to reach an agreement on the variety grown.  Or get some money back by selling spares at a local table sale?

25/02/2014 at 18:03

Thanks for the places on whare to get them 

25/02/2014 at 19:26

If your mum gets Tesco clubcard vouchers, you can triple up . £10 becomes £30 to spend on Thompson and Morgan website.

25/02/2014 at 19:36

....never disappointed with seeds from Lidl, and my daughter has grown a wonderful wild flower meadow from one of their tubs of seed, it's now in its third year.

I often save seed from things that interest me - had a fantastic crop from seeds saved from a black tomato, and peppers from .....well a red pepper.

26/02/2014 at 00:07

I save quite a lot of seeds mainly flowers, plants and shrubs not so much veg it gives great satisfaction to grow new plants from seed you've saved.

26/02/2014 at 08:18

I have used ebay loads and I have to say have had excellent seeds, my beans, pumpkins and courgettes last year ( not to mention all my flower seeds) my wild garlic in the green and many other things. There are a couple of sellers one being nutsncones who also have a web site very good as are premier seeds. .99p for at least 100 seeds and normally free postage with more than one buy! Plus next year I will be selling chilli seeds there as well!

email image
19 messages