London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
04/06/2014 at 10:00

i want white foxgloves and blue and white lupins next summer, just lookig at seeds, are they both easy enough to grow from seed and when best to buy and plant?

04/06/2014 at 10:18

Foxgloves are very easy and can be sown now, they don't need extra heat.

I don't grow lupins 

04/06/2014 at 10:19

thanks nut, just in modules/ litt;e pots? then plant out next year?

04/06/2014 at 10:23

I've never used modules but I should think that would be good.

If they're big enough I'd plant them out at the end of summer.

Once you get them started you can just leave them to seed themselves.

04/06/2014 at 10:25

great, thanks, i love anything that self seeds!

04/06/2014 at 10:40

I Grow both, foxgloves are easy as anything they will seed themselves once established and the flower heads are left on the plants.

Lupins again are relatively easy i grown all mine from seed this year in particular

i have had massive success i started off in little pots one or two seeds pre-soaked in

seaweed  at a depth of 1/2 inch kept well damp and under a tray lid in greenhouse up the sprung,

transplant them to 3 inch individual pots keep moist but not soaked they will grow larger when you fell the have outgrown this post pot on once again  mine are now stage three and i will put them out to harden off  before siting them to grow on in the garden for flowers next year.

remember to collect the seed heads if you wont to grow more, other wise they will

scatter their own seeds when the heads are ready to burst open and the wind blows.  happy gardening

04/06/2014 at 10:45

Chris25, that Lupin treatment sounds a bit drastic. I would not bother with the pre-soaking, just plant the seeds into modules or small pots. I sow mine in the autumn, and then they are ready to be planted out the following Spring.

Neither Lupins or foxgloves come true from seed.

04/06/2014 at 10:55

...unless they're the wild, purple foxgloves, presumably?

KEF
04/06/2014 at 10:58

I didn't know that about foxgloves, so all the white ones I've grown from saved seed and planted out will be a surprise when they flower   that'll teach me to colour coordinate

04/06/2014 at 11:36

Cultivars never seed true though some may look much the same, at least for the first few seedings.

Foxgloves species will seed true unless they're been crossed with something

04/06/2014 at 14:25

How easy are roses to grow from seeds and when is the best time to sow the seeds? Thanks.

04/06/2014 at 14:29

I find foxgloves with green leaves produce pale or white or apricot flowers. Foxgloves with a deep red streak up the leaf stem produce purple flowers.

I have morello cherry lupins and yellow ones growing from named seed. One seed to a 3 inch pot. Soaking not necessary.

04/06/2014 at 15:05
MMflower wrote (see)

How easy are roses to grow from seeds and when is the best time to sow the seeds? Thanks.

Species roses are very easy from seed. I sowed Rosa rugosa in autumn and it produced a flower within a year.

Rosa moyesii and rubrifloia are easy as well but not so quick to flower.

Any of the hybrid roses you find making viable seeds will produce something but not as the parent, though could be close with the single flowered ones

04/06/2014 at 15:08

oooh foxgloves can still be sown? I would quite like some down at the lottie, down the bottom in my 'wildlife' bit. So much to learn!

Lyn
04/06/2014 at 15:43

I have just sown my canturbury bells,  fox and lupins for next year, no need to soak first, just pop in a module, they will all come up, tough they are. I will pot on probably twice and plant out next spring.

I grew the apricot foxgloves last year from seeds, cos they were free in the mag, but next year I will expect them to be wild pink colour.

04/06/2014 at 16:53

SweetPea, foxgloves are biennials: sow the seed now and they'll just make leaves & roots this year, then they'll flower next year.  Once they're there they'll self seed and you'll have them for ever, conditions permitting (they're OK in shade so that could be useful).  Bees love them.

04/06/2014 at 17:50

I sowed Foxglove seeds in cell trays round about the beginning of May.I did start mine in a basic non heated propagator but I'm not sure the lid was necessary *nods in nut's direction*   The info I read said not to cover the Foxglove seeds with compost but just press them very lightly into the surface because they need light to germinate.Also to water them,use a light spray (like a washed out febreeze bottle). My seedlings are around an inch high now.

Lupins though I know nothing about.

04/06/2014 at 18:29

I have just sown some white foxglove seeds as most of the ones in my garden now are pink. I would like to track down some yellow seed ............

Lyn
04/06/2014 at 18:57
hogweed wrote (see)

I have just sown some white foxglove seeds as most of the ones in my garden now are pink. I would like to track down some yellow seed ............

Pleny on ebay.

04/06/2014 at 20:29

Foxgloves are especially easy. I've got loads of white/pink ones I started from seed last year - I've been giving them away I've grown that many!

Here's what I did....

1 - Got the seed in late summer and sowed very thinly (it's tiny seed) into an old long vertical planter. I didn't even bother putting fresh compost or anything in there - just whatever was in there.

2 - Put the planter somewhere out of site in a shady corner of the garden

3 - Forgot about it till late March, then picked out the best looking ones and potted them on. Just left them in the same out of sight corner.

4 - Early May I planted them in the final location in the ground. If you leave some in their pots for a bit longer it seems to hold them back and you can then stagger planting for a longer display.

1 to 20 of 22 messages