6 messages
24/03/2013 at 18:56

Hiya, really need some advice, I've just dug out some seed trays and pots, various shapes and sizes and am wanting to sow Sweet Pea's, Aquilegia and Verbena Bonariensis. Now what do I do?!

24/03/2013 at 19:05

Make sure them trays and pots have been washed and sterilised in jeyes fluid for at least 30 mins, before you start. Once air dried, fill with a good seed compost, then follow the instructions on the back of the seed packets. And if need be, place in a plastic bag, tie loosely until germination.

It's all i do.

24/03/2013 at 19:13

Thanks for that Although, my Verbena dont have any sowing instructions (spose thats what you get when you buy them cheap) and all the websites state different things. Some say its tricky to grow, others say its easy?

24/03/2013 at 19:32

I'm trying the verbena for the first time this year and so far I've found them a bit a tricky, I've chilled them, not chilled them, put them inside and out but no luck.

Don't let that put you off though, others have had  better success with them than me. If I don't get anything soon, I will start again with some new seeds, they are lovely plants and I want some

I would have a quick look on the commercial sites like suttons or fothergills and see what they advise. Sweet peas I would just sow them into to some good compost. Might be worth sowing them in slightly deeper pots as they do grow deep root systems.

24/03/2013 at 19:58

I usually grow my sweetpeas in them cheap plastic cups, which can be reused for a few years if washed and stored probably and I usually only use 2 seed sowing methods for all my seeds - surface or below.

Good luck with the Verbena, I'm sure some kind person will have the right info.

Just give whatever method you choose a go, I'm sure it will work.

25/03/2013 at 10:21

Just bought some verbena as my mate says they are a bootful flower but looking at the instructions germination takes 3-4 weeks at 19deg, and just to be sowed in the normal way in a seed tray or a pot in good seed compost.

My sweet peas are planted in home made cardboard tubes 8-10 long 2" dia, I just use ordinary general compost and leave them in the green house & mist them with my sprayer from time to time to keep the cardboard damp, mine are well on with good roots at the bottom & really need to go in the ground but as the weather is so bad will just have to stay where they are for the time been, looking out of the window and has started to snow Yipeeeeeeeeeeee

email image
6 messages